Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles Cleaning Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yup

Yup

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

I've been having some problems with my computer. I had a virus or spyware/malware. I reinstalled Windows XP which didn't resolve the problem.

So I reformatted my hard drive by doing the following:

-I deleted the partition that my hard drive was on, created a new one, the drive was reformatted
-Reinstalled Windows XP over that and did a Windows Update
-downloaded Spybot S&D
-downloaded Ad-Aware SE Personal Ed 1.06
-downloaded Spyware Blaster 3.5.1

Before I downloaded the anit-spy software, my comuter was running fine. After all of the downloads, I began getting pop ups so fast that I could barely close them down. And finally, insult to injury, the computer began rebooting with a message that stated NT Authority is shutting down the computer because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) terminated unexpectedly.

Since then, I've re-reformated the hard drive and installed Windows yet again. So far so good.. however my issues is this: Is there a possibility that when I downloaded the anit-spy software that something came with them? Or is it possible that the virus/whatever still exists on my computer? I'm getting crazy now... ! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

That sounds like fun,
If you deleted the partition, you should have gotten rid of any viruses or malware.

What AV are you using?
What firewall do you have?

When it says that the RPC has stopped it more than likely means that you have the sasser or blaster worm. It is very unlikely that it or other malware came when you downloaded the anti spy products, there was a survey a while back that said that an unprotected PC was infected very quickly when it was plugged into the internet, 3 mins or so.

There is a list of software at...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hmm... good to know. Well at the time, I wasn't running anything because I had just litterally redone my comp. and I didn't go to *any* website at all except for here and then followed the links. I don't have an AV.. just run the free ones.

I used Mcafee online just now and it came up empty, so the last time was most likely the charm. I'll try the down loads again and see what happens. Thanks for your info. :thumbsup:

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

Read this and wollow the steps. To avoid further damage if any doubt just post back here.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

You were not infected by any of the anti-spyware programs that you download. Read:
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".

Install an Anti-virus and Firewall immediately.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield (During the install, it is recommended to uncheck the "Security Toolbar" component) - How to Install, Configure, and Use

Free firewalls:
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
Kerio Personal Firewall (available in a full and limited free edition)
Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 (last freeware version that was strictly a firewall and not bundled with extra features that hog resources and slow down system performance) - Alternate download
Outpost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Sygate Personal Firewall Free 5.6
Comodo Free Firewall
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users