Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Cpu, Will It Help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dolcevito

dolcevito

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi Everybody, my 1st time posting - I've got a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop, about 2 years old. It's running a 2.8 Pentium 4, 533 fsb. I'm doing music on it and would like to improve the performance a little. I've got a gig of ram, I'll bump up to 2.5gig for the big music files. My question is, would I see a good performance boost by upgrading my CPU? My machine says it'll take a P4 up to 3.4 and up to 800fsb.

If it is worth doing, are there any things I should know about which CPU to buy? On my specs it says I'm an 865pe or 865g chipset, does that present limitations I might not know about? Can I buy a Prescott or Northwood or are they different somehow? Are there any others that might work better for me?

Thanks, Timmy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

.6 ghz difference, I doubt you'll see any huge performance upping, if it was like a gig of speed boosted then yea maybe, but .6 I doubt it, then again I went from a 750 mhz to a 2.2 so ive only seen the one change, but still

boosting speed, Clean up your computer, spyware, Old unused programs/files, Clean out the recycle bin temp internet files folder cookies, etc, that'll help, defrag it maybe?

that's about all you can do to boost the current one, Yea ram and such does help here and there but if your'e computers blogged down with stuff you'll never see a huge difference

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

It would make a difference, but upgrading your processor is a pretty big deal, and windows is pretty finicky about it. It'd be a better idea to upgrade your hard drive instead, as I think I remember the 4600 hard drive as being pretty slow, and hard drive upgrades are cheap and much easier than cpu upgrades. If you are brave, go ahead and upgrade your cpu! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

Oh yea, one more thing in this regard, contact dell about yoru upgrade and see what they say pretty sure you have to go through them for any and all upgrades,

because unless Im mistaken they use specialty motherboards that are actually made by them to prevent you from going to outside sources for new parts, minus like ram and stuff lol But i would check just in case, I remember cracking open a dell or two and finding that anything in the way of upgrading CPU or mobo etc was hihgly impossible as none of the parts could be found anywhere online by a google search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users