Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Trying to set up a Thunderbird acct. Get to "New Account Setup" click on email it asks me for what name I would like to appear (duh) and what email address to use. I want to use my gmail address. I am then asked what type of server I use POP or IMAP. How do I know? I think its a POP but not sure. It then asks me for the name of my incoming server. Would this be some gmail address? How do I find out? I know my outgoing server has to be that of my ISP Optimun online.
Help I'm stuck here :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Generally you would use the pop3 and smtp settings of your ISP, but if you want to use gmail, then you set your pop3 to be pop.gmail.com, and your smtp to smtp.gmail.com.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Please go thru this tut to set up Thunderbird for Gmail

#4 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter