Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

I Am About To Do A Clean Install Of Windows Vista Home Premium Over My Old Windows XP Professional System. My Current System Stats Are:

- 80GB Hard Drive
- 256mb VRAM ATI 9200 Series Pro RADEON Video Card
- 2GB DDR RAM
- 2.8GHZ CPU
- DVD Drive

Are Those Ok To Run Windows Vista Home Premium With The Aero Effects?

Also, I Seem To Have A Very Noisy Computer, Any Tips On How I Can Make It More Silent Like Dell Computers A Few Of My Friends Have?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

I believe that you have enough memory and stuff to run the Windows Aero feature of Vista. One thing I would caution you to do is save the drivers for your computer on CDs in case there is a conflict with Vista or you need to reinstall them. As for the noise piece, it may just be your PC. Nothing that is abnormal. Mine is really noisey, but I don't worry 'bout it.

Let me know how the upgrade goes.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

The 9200 pro should be able to handle it with its memory, but it is a bit old so cant guarantee performance. As for the noise, this is usually caused by the fans in your computer case. I would recommend you post a question about that in the hardware forum as it's not my forte.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

There's a bit more to Vista requirements than the basic specs. That being said, there's a certain amount of consistency with when the additional features were integrated (in other words, newer cards will have the features, older one's won't).

I'd suggest running the Vista Upgrade Advisor to be sure (although I suspect that it will run just fine anyway): http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

The Radeon 9200 doesn't support DirectX 9, and so doesn't support AeroGlass. Otherwise you should be fine.

As for the computer noise: replace the fans with quieter ones.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

Damn..learning a lot here. Alpha, aero glass is only compatible with DX9 +?

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

Yup, AreoGlass requires Pixel Shader 2.0 which is a DirectX 9 feature.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users