Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shopping.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:21 AM

When my wife decides to go shopping for clothes or shoes,I cringe beause I know what I'm in for.
It always has to be the largest mall around.We start at one end and have a look in just about every clothes shop there.Every time I have to stand right near the change room,because she wants my opinion.For me anyway standing amongest other women who are holding up underware etc,makes me wish I was 100 miles away.I say I like the dress,jeans,top whatever,and she says she may find something nicer in another shop.So off to the next and the next.and to me this bores me to tears,but I have to make out I enjoy it.
Then it's all the way back through the mall,to one of the shops previously visited.
Any other Husband or Boyfriend find this boring?or am I the only one who would rather be playing Golf,anything but Shopping. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 02 February 2007 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

Personally, I love shopping. I love to be able to go into a store, mall or whatever, and buy what I need and (or) want. It has never bothered me, ever.... except, if I have other things to do, or I simply don't want to go in just to watch her buy just one item or such.

She hates food shopping, but I love it. Shopping doesn't bother me, and if I could have started a service, like this lady I saw on the news, I'd make a killing, because many people, men and women, hate shopping and wouldn't mind paying someone to do it for them.

Also, there's nothing wrong with getting lost when your spouse darts over to the ladies aisle to check out the undies and such. Then again, I don't mind that section either. It doesn't bother me at all.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

You're not the only one that finds it boring, DSTM.
Shopping, bores me to tears.
When I go to the store, I know what I want, I go get it, and I leave.
With the wife, it's check every store in the area, for that one item.
I'd rather take a bullet to the head, than go shopping with the wife. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

I will clarify what I meant.I love going to the mall and having a nice meal together.Any other type of shopping I enjoy,because my Wife can go off and do her thing and I can shop for whatever I want.
We make a time to meet up and it's swell. :flowers:
I was only referring to Clothes and shoe shopping,because she want's me there to give my opinion,and it seems to take hours.
If I scooted off,she would go to the car and we would have to start all over again.I thought of that. :thumbsup:
I do all the food shopping,and all other shopping, while my wife is at work,so she hasn't got the hassle on her days off.Just don't look forward to the ones I mentioned.
Wonder also,how many Wives think their Husbands have a good taste in Clothes,or would sooner take their Mother or a Girlfriend?

Edited by DSTM, 02 February 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

The only way that happened is when she agreed to stand around in the computer shops, home improvement centers and etc. while I checked out the newest gadgets and tools. I didn't get asked to go shopping many times afterwards. Of course none of that matters anymore seeing as she's history. The bachelor life can be a blessing some times. :thumbsup:

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 02 February 2007 - 08:11 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

clothes and shoe shopping is difficult with my wife because she doesn't know what she wants when she enters a store. i take the attitude of tg1911 towards shopping, know what you want, get it , and leave. but i do like getting new stuff, so i go. also, i like being there so my wife doesn't do something 'frivolous'. :thumbsup:

my wife would much sooner take her mother, because she doesn't make endless jokes about how expensive women's clothing is. seriously, $50 for a pair of flip-flops? $70 for a t-shirt? plenty of material to work with when i go shopping with my wife.

but i will admit, when i go shopping, i like having her there to tell me what looks good. i can be a real goober sometimes, so i value her opinion.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

When a woman takes her boyfriend/husband shopping with her, she probably won't the feedback she wants (EX: Looks great [and it really does]). The husband/boyfriend would say whatever he needed to to hurry her up. I think sometimes its a form of cruel & unusual punishment for women to take their other halves shopping with them.
If they really want to know how they look in a particular outfit, they should bring a really close girlfriend (although this does have some drawbacks as well :cool: )

Also, I've seen women at the mall lose their minds when their husband/boyfriend tells them that they can't have something because its too expensive. And complain and complain. Well, next time don't bring them, just bring their money. :thumbsup:

Some guys will give whatever asked for to avoid a day shopping with the Mrs. :flowers: :trumpet:

For me, if I want something I'll just buy it. I don't really care what someone else thinks of what I want. :inlove:

Edited by tink536, 02 February 2007 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

:flowers:

For me, if I want something I'll just buy it. I don't really care what someone else thinks of what I want.

tink, that is exactly the reason i go shopping with my wife! she doesn't throw a fit, but sometimes she does require an exterior control.

:thumbsup: all in good fun though! every moment together is to be cherished.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#9 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

So long as its in good fun, and not the beginning of Wrestlemania, then live & let live! :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

In order to avoid any mishappenings me and my bette half have made the following arrangement :

If she wants to do cruising along a 20 shops fine, but without me. If she find something worthwhile she phones ad I'll be there in 5 minutes since I am either sitting in a cafe drinking some "refereshments "or cruising a computershop in the neabourhood.

Like some people I have seen a start of worldwar 3 over buying or not buying a jacket of a particular colour.
The last time it was a 250 lbs lady who was interested in a shining purple jacket... Hilarious :thumbsup:

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

When I go to the store, I know what I want, I go get it, and I leave.
With the wife, it's check every store in the area, for that one item.

Ahh man when we go shopping with my mom its like that but worse.

One night she wanted new pajamas. We went to one store and looked at every one. I always get on to her for having to touch ever clothing item in the store before we can leave.

Then she said she kinda liked this one set but wasnt sure.

We left and went to target. We thought we had the perfect pair but it was to expensive she said. So we were going to get it but she would not have it.

So we had to run back to goodies and get the first set but the set she thought she liked the first time we were in there was not good enough this time. So she had to re-look over all the pajamas and then we got a set.

When I go in a store I know what I want and what size color and the like I want. I go straight to it and I leave.

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Any other Husband or Boyfriend find this boring?or am I the only one who would rather be playing Golf,anything but Shopping

All depends on what I'm\we're shopping for.
Electronics, tools, construction material, vehicles, etc, I'm all in. :thumbsup:
Clothes, household items, that sort of stuff, count me out.
I've been married 27 years to the same fantastic lady.
When we shop together, it's usually someplace that has something for both of us, so many times we just split up and meet at an appointed time and place.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

I HATE shopping for clothes. I cannot go into a store, know what size I need etc. and buy it. Women's sizes are all different. A size 12 with one brand and type of clothing will fit and several others don't, some will be too small and others too large. And then you cannot count on the fact that next year the same brand and size will fit as companies change the dressmaker's dummies every year, so last year's 12 can be a very different size from this year's 12. Some garments will fit in certain places but not in others. I have to try on everything to see if it fits. Part of the difficulty is the vast differences in women's body builds: shoulders, chest, hips, waist. Placements and ratios vary remarkably. In contrast, men's trousers, and frequently the shirts, have actual measurements in the sizes making it much easier to find garments that fit. I like to have my dad with me so he can see if something looks right in terms of fitting. Of course, if I can tell that something is too small as soon as I put it on, I just take it right off and go to the next one. I bring a book, magazine, or newspaper for him to read while I'm tied up in the dressing room. Sometimes, he takes a nap. He did that for my mom too - but not for undergarments mind you. My mom did the same for him. Now, I check to see if things fit right on my dad.

I do try to make the shopping as quick as possible. I immediately eliminate everything that has a price that's too high. I feel the fabrics, and if I don't like the feel it stays on the rack. I will select a number of items in different sizes in the same style to try on to find out which size with this company with this style will fit. That way if I do find one that fits, which isn't guaranteed by any means, and if I need more than one I can then go back and select the colors I want without having to try on again. If I don't see anything I like in a store, I'm outta there. I remember one day I was looking for one or two dresses for special occasions. I smoked through the entire mall in under an hour, mostly because the stores didn't have what I was looking for. The woman I had with me was stunned. She came along because she thought she would have time to look for some things for herself. She was able to look at some stuff in only one store when I tried on a couple things - which didn't fit. She did manage to get a sweater though. By the way, if I had found what I was looking for in the first store and it fit, the shopping would have stopped right there.

In contrast, I was looking for some pants a while ago. It took me hours to find a single pair as nothing would fit properly.

My dad and I both hate shoe shopping. I'll wear my shoes till there's holes in the soles before shopping for shoes, and once again the reason is because it's very difficult for either one of us to find shoes that fit properly. Oh, if we only had the funds, we'd get our shoes custom-made. Those would fit.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

[RANT] Yeahhh!!!!! I just love shopping with the wife! I love how she has 1 thing to get from the store....and it takes 3 hours to get that one thing.....because she drags me (kicking and screaming) up and down every stinking isle....stopping and checking everything out...touching everything...calling her friends and telling them about things...."Oh look, this will match that other thing I was looking at 2 isles back 45 minutes ago!" Yeahhh!!!!! Just love shopping....3 hours and touching/picking up/looking at EVERYTHING in the store.....yet still only buying one thing (if I'm lucky).[/RANT]

When I shop, I go to the store, get what I need, then leave. See, simple isn't it. :flowers: Although I'm sure my wife would disagree with everything I just said too....which is just one of the reasons why I'm trying to sell her on ebay... :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

Oh dear, do forgive me for laughing but I suspect there are men the world over who will be glad if one day all shopping of women's clothes is done over the internet!

In reality, it's not our fault. Nope, truly it isn't. The first problem is a very real one - if we are only window - shopping we see zillions of 'perfect' things we'd like to have ... but the moment we have the actual money in our pockets, a cruel and female version of 'Murphy's Law' kicks in and suddenly there isn't one 'perfect' thing in any of the stores. Or it's perfect except for the fact it's made for someone weighing either 99 pounds soaking wet or someone with the shortest legs known to women-kind. Or, as Orange Blossom mentioned, the fabric makes us cringe to touch it with our fingers, let alone dress in it. So many variables that simply don't exist when the average man goes shopping for a wardrobe. Honest.

So you see, it's not really her fault when she drags you through a zillion stores, then reverses direction and drags you through the same zillions of stores, really it's not. :thumbsup:

For myself, I loathe shopping but know in an instant when I've found the 'perfect' thing - it makes my heart smile when I put it on and gives me the confidence to 'take on the world' - hoot!

And may I share some wee hints when shopping with a lady you love:

1. Never ever say, "Those shoes make your feet look a bit large, but I bet they're comfy, huh?"
2. Never say "That looks nice/ok". ('Nice/ok' to most women is the kiss of death when it comes to clothes")
3. Never say, "Who would have thought that cashmere could add bulk".

Do say:

1. "Darling, while the orange dress looks lovely, it doesn't set off your beautiful green eyes like the other one did". ( Not, "Darling, the orange dress makes you look jaundiced")

2. "Darling, they are both lovely dresses but the blue one accents your tiny waist". ( Not, "Darling, the purple ones makes your bum look big").

Yup, honestly works wonders if handled right - and do remember it's really not her fault at all. Between that pesky 'Murphy's Law' and with designers designing for bodies that don't exist - there's a huge chance she's feeling worse and worse about herself with every shop she drags you through.

PM to CGM ... may I suggest that if this situation ever happens again, you take note of the pjs that made her face truly light up - and then return when she's not with you to buy the perfect 'just because of love you' gift. Gentle smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users