Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Synchronization

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MCB

MCB

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

Anyone got any idea why, when I switch my computer on every morning, the time and date have reverted to midnight on 1 January 2001?

It is set for GMT (correct) and I've used the Time Synchronize tab but every morning it's the same. :thumbsup:

I'm using XP Home version.

TIA

MCB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

Quite possibly your battery on the motherboard is dead. Replace it and see if that helps.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 MCB

MCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

Is that likely when it is OK for the rest of the day once I have corrected the date and time?

MCB

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

Most probably. Your motherboard contains a small battery little bit like a watch battery. The battery emits a small amount of power to the mobo even if your PC is off, so when you do switch on your PC the date and time are correct.

Replacing isn't tricky, just pop out the battery and take to your nearest store for a replacement.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

Yes.
When your computer is powered up, it's running on your home's power.
When your computer is powered down, it's running on the CMOS battery.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users