Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Install File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

i recently installed anapod onto my computer. i decided i did not like it so i decided to uninstall it. much to my dismay, when i clicked to uninstall it, i got an error message saying that the install file was corrupt and that i needed to reinstall to fix it. i did that, but i still get the same message. i also tried to use the add/remove programs but got the same results

now i have to system folders that i can't figure out how to erase. i have looked everywhere i can think to look, but i cannot find how to erase these files since there is no erase option. please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Eraser
Unlocker
Delete Doctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:10 AM

i was able to erase all of the programs files, except for two of them (pictured below) i couldnt get the directory to them to use delete doctor, and even in safe mode i was unable to erase them. the two folders are anapod shuffler, and anapod explorer. if i click to explore them, it just shows me my desktop.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

Have you tried to uninstall it from the Device Manager?
Right click My Computer / Properties / Hardware tab / Device Manager button

If it's listed in the Device Manager, right-click it and select Uninstall, then reboot and see if it's gone.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

its not listed in my device manager. would it work if i installed a different version, then used that install to get rid of it?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

Try using cClener. I have found items in cCleaner the Microsoft's add/remove programs did not catch.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

ccleaner didnt work either... am i to assume that these folders will just sit there? all they are now is just the folders, all other files associated with them are gone now.

on edit: i dl'ed the trial version from the anapod website, then just uninstalled immediately; upon reboot the folders were gone. thanks for the help yall.

Edited by purple frog, 04 February 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem, purple frog.
Thanks for posting back with the fix, that worked for you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users