Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powered Subwoofer Hook-up To Regluar Pc Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toppapi

toppapi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

i was wondering if this is even possible which i'm sure it is...ALSO if any1 has any advice for me to go about doing it ..thank you very much...the sub is from a stereo that broke..i plug it into the wall and on the back of it is just a plugin for the STEREO itself..so i'm guessing i'm going to have to splice into the subs speaker wires..buttt..any advice will help because i have no idea lol...thanks ahead of time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

You'll need a piece of stereo wire........ then you'll need a stereo jack that plugs into your computers speaker output, then you'll need a stereo jack that plugs into your subwolfer.

Now, connect each jack to each end of the wire, then plug each jack into their respective inputs, then fire up the sounds.

You'll need to go to Radio Shack to get the pieces you need. Probably around $10-$15 dollars. Make sure you tell them that you need wires for your computer speakers.

#3 toppapi

toppapi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

im sorry could you go a little more in depth please..the only thing that i have in back of my SUB has 1 lil input that says "audio" looks as of some sort of RCA jack would go in there. i dont know.but please go more in depth please.thank you veryy much.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

Does the connection in the back of the speaker look like the old RCA stereo jack input? Or does it look like the plug input that you would find on the back of vcr's or similar equipment?

If I'm correct as to your plug, you are going to need two different plugs, that will be put onto the wire. The one side that fits the computer, and the other side that fits your speaker.

I'm going to http://www.radioshack.com right now to find the picture of the plug I'm talking about.

[Added Info]
Will your subwolfer accept this plug?
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_ima...-3149205t98.jpg

or one of these:

The below will list 100 items. I didn't want to go through 5 pages, so I grabbed them all in one go.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...032280&pg=1

Edited by Walkman, 02 February 2007 - 12:53 AM.

#5 toppapi

toppapi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

its looks as if old RCA stereo jack input

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:29 AM

Ok... as I said before.. you need one long wire, and you need a RCA plug(end) and you'll need a 1/8" stereo plug(end)... just connect each plug to the ends of the wire. That all.

In case I confused you, the plug ends that you will need do not have wires attached to them. They unscrew and all you have to do is connect the wires to them, then screw them closed. That's all you need to do. You don't need any soldering iron and it's perfectly safe to do. It should take you about 15 minutes or so to do.

Edited by Walkman, 02 February 2007 - 01:31 AM.

#7 toppapi

toppapi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image <---THIS PIECE SUMHOW WENT BAD...IT HAD A WEIRD BURNING SMELL LAST NIGHT..I THINK I TOUCHED THE CIRCUIT BOARD WRONG WAY OR SOMETHING.What is this called?and can i replace it?

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

Yes, you can replace it. It's called a Transformer. It's actually a coil. They do go bad. Yours looks like it's one of the smaller ones that fit in power adapters.

Take a look here:
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...CatId=&pg=1

I'm not sure, but this transformer you should ask about:
NXG NX-70VTR 70-Volt Line-Matching Transformer

As far as your wire goes... that's the RCA wire I was talking about. All you need to do is cut off one end of the wire, and replace it with the 1/8" plug that fits into the back of your computer, and you'll be good to go.

I didn't mention it before, but you'll also want to get a "Y" adapter. That will allow you to plug your sub, and your computer speakers up at the same time.

That "Y" adapter and the "Transformer" will cost you probably around $20 or less for both. Although you may have some spare transformers lying around, I'm not going to get into salvaging any. Plus you'll need to know the correct amperages, and so forth.

But, your setup is exactly as I thought it would be. Worse comes to worst, you'll need to contact that speaker company to get a replacement transformer.

If you go to Radio Shack, take your speaker circuit board with you. By the way, that circuit board is your amplifier, or a pre-amplifier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users