Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Capturing Sounds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Is there an application that captures the sound that is being played on the computer, for example, you play a song on an internet radio, are there applications that allow you to capture the song?

Edited by EddieT.H., 01 February 2007 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

If you have a double-end stereo jack, plus a "Y" adapter, all you would need to do is plug the "Y" adapter into your speaker output connection, then plug one end of the double-end stereo jack into one connection of the "Y", then plug the other end of the double-end stereo jack into your computer "line-in" connection. Then plug your speakers into the available connection on the "Y" adapter.

Now, all you need to do is load up any sound recorder you have and press the record button while you're listening to whatever.

Done deal.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:50 AM

If your soundcard\audio device is full duplex capable, you can also do it via software only.
In the past, I've used this little app.
Audacity will also do it. Both are free.

Edited by HitSquad, 02 February 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#4 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I have audacity, how do i make audacity do this?
Posted Image

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

When I listen to an online radio station using Winamp, I use a plugin called streamripper (free) this records the track being played and saves it to the computer.

So lets say you are listening to an online radio station and you want to use Audacity.

Firstly check that the following is selected
1. Prepare your source, radio station, sound playback etc.
2. Open Audacity
3. Just under the 'SKIP TO END' button, there is a DROP DOWN box, ensure that 'WHAT U HEAR' is selected
4. Click on the RECORD BUTTON and start playing your audio. Dont worry if there is a gap before you audio begins to record, you can always edit the sound file later.

And thats it!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

there is no drop down box..
I figured it out, using stereo mix i think, well it worked, except its mono, how do i lower the bit rate, 705kpbs i think, around 35 mb .....

Edited by EddieT.H., 03 February 2007 - 02:06 AM.

Posted Image

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

The sample rate can be changed in the Preferences.
Edit / Preferences... / Quality tab

To make a stereo recording:
Project / New Stereo Track
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

This may be of help to someone.

Here's a quick tut to download internet radio, which is free and legal. Well, if you consider recording regular radio legal.

1)Get an account on pandora.com or any other internet radio site. Pandora is my favorite, as it recommends music for you, and you can now get other peoples stations as well, so I can get a nice well made blind-guardian based station without any work! =D
---------------->www.pandora.com

2)Download OPD2D, which basically just records whatever sound your computer is exporting at the time, and install like any other program.
---------------->opd2d

3)You'll want .mp3 support, since otherwise the recordings will be HUUUGEEE. Download this file (for windows pentium based computers, otherwise head to the main page and grab the right one for you).
---------------->p4 based .dll
---------------->main page (get the .dll of whatever you need)

4)Extract the .zip, then copy and paste the .dll file into the same folder that opd2d is installed in (Something like C:\Program files\opd2d)

5)Open up opd2d, and set it up how you like. The preferred sound recording device is your soundcard. I like to just set the limit at 9999999999 megabytes, and start and stop how I like. Make sure to hit the "..." next to where you select the limit, and make the check at .mp3. Bit rate at 192 is fine.

6)Now you could record now, but some may have problems with it recording your microphone instead of your output. Go to volume control (sndvol32.exe in the run box) and go to:
---------------->Options:Properties:Adjust Volume for recording:Check stero mixer

7)Make sure the "select" checkbox is selected for stereo mixer (NOT MICROPHONE), and set the volume slider somewhere around the middle.

8)You are now ready to record. Just hit the start button in opD2D and it will record whatever sound your computer is outputting. Mind you, this will also include game sounds, AIM logon noises, the works. So when you record make sure that ONLY the radio station is playing. Also, remember to write down the names and artists of the songs you are recording, unless you have a really good memory!

9)Once you are done recording hit stop, and everything you have recorded will be saved to where you selected.

10)Now you have recorded whatever music you want, you have to separate everything from each other. Now you could always record individual songs and then not do any editing, but downloading all at once is faster once you get to know audacity. For now, download audacity, and I'll post a tut in a little bit on how to seperate everything from eachother.
---------------->Audacity

Separating with Audacity

Before you do anything, make sure to download lame_enc.dll for .mp3 support in Audacity.
---------------->Uploaded to this page.
Once you have lame.dll saved somewhere, open Audacity and go to File:Preferences:File Formats:Find Library. Just select the lame_enc.dll file for audacity. You will only have to do this once.

1)Once you have Audacity, go ahead and open it.

2)Open the file where everything is recorded
---------------->File:Open

3)Once the file is loaded, you will see it displayed as a Stero Track in Audacity. What you want to do is cut out the individual songs from eachother in the mishmash of music.

4)Zoom in on where the first song ends (it will be a dip in the blue graphic stuff. . .the higher the blue the louded the recording) and then click there, this is where your first song will end.

5)Go to:
---------------->Edit:Select:Start to Cursor
>>Then hit cntl + x, or go to edit:cut. This will cut out the whole song.

6)Go to:
---------------->Project:New Stereo Track
>>This will open up a blank stereo track in your audacity project. Click into this track and hit the |<< button to get to the beginning. Now just hit cntl + v, or edit:paste to paste in the song.

7)On the left side of the screen, hit the little drop down arrow box, where it says "New Stereo Track". Hit name, and then enter the name of the song.

8)Repeat 4-7 for each song you have.

9)Now that each song is in its own track, all you have to do is export them!
---------------->File:Export Multiple
>>Make sure you have .mp3 selected for your export. Name files with "Label/Track Name." Now just let Audacity export them all, and you're done!

Tutorial for using opd2d and audacity to record and seperate. Enjoy!

Posted Image

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

There is no need in getting any accounts. Just think about the radio. We don't sign up anywhere just to buy a radio.

People's privacy should be that. I wouldn't sign up for anything on this planet, just to listen and (or) record radio music.

It's real simple. There are programs that can do it without registering anywhere. And if I were you, I wouldn't be signing up on web sites just to listen/capture music. Before you know it, your songs suddenly don't play,.... you can't move them from one computer to another, you can't burn them to discs, and who knows what else may happen to your computer,,, like........ ads, and other malware embedded into those files. It read it recently, all though it's old news, but other crap gets embedded into files like them from sources like paid services or such. I wouldn't want to put my computer, nor my music in that type of risk.

And again, just having the wires you need, you wouldn't even need any type of software at all. It's just that simple. The sound that comes out of your speaker output just gets fed back into your computer. If software happens to be against the law to do such, I know for sure a wire with plugs on them isn't.

No sound on your computer would be exempt. Every sound can be recorded. I bet many, if any of those programs out there could capture the sound for you while you're playing computer games, or doing a voice chat, or recording all of anything. And the best part of it is that you only pay around $10 or so, and you're set for every computer you ever own, use or whatever. Besides, we need to stop thinking software is the fix to every situation. After you pay for it, then all of a sudden, a new version comes out, and it'll probably have a function or such that you need, but now you have to pay more money, and then you'll be caught in what is called a residual cycle, constantly paying.

And lastly, there are site where you can select what you want to hear, and it'll play. Ohhhhh.... and you don't have to pay, nor register. That's what I'm talking about.

Just $10 or so, and you have no restrictions what-so-ever. You name the program sound and (or) source of the sound, and you have it. Al you need to do is hit record on any sound recorder. Even Windows Sound Recorder will do.

#10 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

what's the 10 dollar for?
Posted Image

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Although changing the settings in the PREFERENCES, this won't alter the current recording. Do this by looking here.

Edited by FireKracker, 04 February 2007 - 05:38 PM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

The $10 is for buying a "Y" adapter, about 2-3" of stereo wire, and the 2 plugs that you put on each end of the wire. That way, no matter which computer you're on, you can just plug the "Y" adapter into your speaker output, plu the wire into the "Y" adapter, and then plug the other end of the wire into your computer aux/input. You're all set, for life.

This method will guarantee that you'll never in your life have to buy any sound capturing software. Why buy it anyway, when you can do it without restrictions, legal terms, agreements, tech support, software problems, etc..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users