Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd/cd Combo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jennii

jennii

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

I was wondering if there was any way to make my DVD/burner/player all regions.
I need the answer in simple english..I am 72 and really need it simple at the moment it is
locked on Region1, or do I need to buy a new DVD for my computer and keep that one for Region4
jennii

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 01 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

There is a firmware piece of software (I forget the name) that will allow you to set your device to a Region FREE state.

I'll post it if I can remember it.

In the meantime, don't go bothering your region settings, because all computer cd\dvd drives have been designed to allow the changing of the Region only 5 times. After 5 times, your player/burner will no longer work... even if you install it into another computer.

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Edit: I see walkman beat me. Oh well. He has a good point. This below is just if you only need to change the region once, which may work for you. But the region free state is the better idea.

But with dvd players, it is set to a region and I think you can only change it 4 or 5 times. You can buy software to disable or change it or change it yourself (if you have remaining changes left)

1. Right click my computer and go to properties
2. Go to the hardware tab and click on device manager
3. Go into DVD/CD-Rom drives tab
4. Double click on your dvd player
5. Go the the DVD Region tab
6. Select a region and push ok

Not the best tutorial ive done... And it might be a little different due to your hardware.

good luck.

Edited by nforce, 01 February 2007 - 11:57 PM.

#4 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

There is a firmware piece of software (I forget the name) that will allow you to set your device to a Region FREE state.

In the meantime, don't go bothering your region settings, because all computer cd\dvd drives have been designed to allow the changing of the Region only 5 times. After 5 times, your player/burner will no longer work... even if you install it into another computer.

can I post my answer here to both of you...I did as the other guy suggested, and it said I had no changes left, and I couldn't add another region either, locked in means locked in damn...Seems I must get another DVD player for region 4..they are the regions I mostly use 1-4.. Thanks so much for the quick responses lol
I had to go find it, posted my message in the wrong place.So much I don't know, all I had to do was click on the subject and it took me to my question. Will the freeware you mentioned let me change my DVD even though I can't do it with instructions I had?

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:11 AM

I believe so.... let me check for you. I'm almost certain. Don't throw it out or buy another one,,, yet.

Let me dig into my pile of info I keep for times like this.

It's not funny, but I told you what would happen if you went beyond the allowed changes. As a matter of fact, I believe Windows explains that when you go into the Region settings of your dvd/cd.

Unless someone posts the info I'm talking about, just keep this post available to you. I'll post back soon.

[Added Info]
The firmware you need is called rpc1.
You can learn more about it here:
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

and check here for your model:
http://tdb.rpc1.org/

more info to help you to understand the process a bit more
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Hardwar...ve_region_free/

And last, but not least, you can use DVD Shrink (it's FREE) , and it'll make your dvd's region free.
http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Just use it to backup your dvd and tell it to back it up region free.

I just now learned that burners made within the last 3 years will burn region free. You'll need to verify it by your make/model. But it's totally different from playing a dvd from a different region.

I know this is a mouthful of info, but better to have enough than not enough info.

Hope this helps!.

Edited by Walkman, 02 February 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#6 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

can I post my answer here to both of you...I did as the other guy suggested, and it said I had no changes left, and I couldn't add another region either, locked in means locked in damn...Seems I must get another DVD player for region 4..they are the regions I mostly use 1-4.. Thanks so much for the quick responses lol
I had to go find it, posted my message in the wrong place.So much I don't know, all I had to do was click on the subject and it took me to my question. Will the freeware you mentioned let me change my DVD even though I can't do it with instructions I had?

Thanks for that information...about the dvd free url's

I will need help with all that will have my son try it out, a lot cheaper than buying a new DVD
and I'm a little timid about doing things like that. I have printed it all out so with any luck I will pop back in one day and say all is well Thanks very much will definitedly get back to you on the end result....jennii

#7 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Not URL's, but programs to help free up my DVD... jennii

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

Not free but DVD Region+CSS Free is worth a look.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#9 jennii

jennii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

Thank you for your help..I now have a program for this problem

jennii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users