Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly Back To Normal!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

*Update*
Cleaned off the processor and heatsink. Put them back in. Now I don't get any video. Took out the video card and the ram, turned the machine on and the motherboard doesn't beep or anything. Tried resetting the CMOS through the jumpers, nada. Please offer any suggestions.
-------------------------

Okay. Recently I had some serious issues with my machine. No power when I tried to turn it on, random shut downs before that.

I bought a new power supply, video card, and motherboard. I'm 100% new to this computer building business but I sat down and tried my best. I slowly unplugged and unlatched everything, made a map on a notepad where everything went. Ultimately, I got the machine to turn on! :thumbsup:

Now for the trouble. I'm currently running a: ABIT AA8XE 925XE motherboard with a P4 processor. At first the heatsink fan for the cpu wasn't spinning when I turned the machine on. I got into the bios and set them to optimized and the fan began spinning then the computer quickly turned off. I turned it back on.. went to bios, check the temperature and I believe it said 85 degrees.. I barely got a chance to look at it but I believe next to it the bios was set to shut down at 85 degrees as well. I heard a 'click click click' sound before it went off.

Anyway. I'm trying desperately to save my RAID0 drives. It's how the machine came and I've been busting my balls trying to unravel the mysteries behind getting back on my feet and getting the drives working. From my understanding I need the EXACT same motherboard for it to recognize the raid drives. The 'boot' screen is different as it doesn't display the my computer's manufactuerer logo but it does say ABIT now and the motherboards look exactly the same..

Here are my questions.

1. I think I should have cleaned off the old artic silver from the heatsink and processor which is why it's overheating. Did I screw up and the processor is done forever?

2. When I swap the silver and try again do I need to do anything special for it to recognize my RAID drives? Someone told me I may need the raid drive floppys.. but I read if I reinstall the RAID drivers I will lose all my data.

Please help! I'll do anything to get into Windows for 30mins so I can use Nortons Ghost on my installation.

Windows XP Professional
ABIT AA8XE 925XE Motherboard
P4 3.8GHZJ 1MB 800FSB LGA775 Processor
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI ATX12V 510W Power Supply
eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Going to sleep, when I wake I'm going to buy some Artic Silver and learn how to apply it. Read you need Isopropyl Alcohol as pure as you can get it.. best I can do is 70%. *Sigh* Gut wrenching..

Edited by Gunmeddle, 02 February 2007 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

Really need some help. Tried everything I can think of. Here is my motherboard:
Posted Image

Right now where I stand I get no video. All fans spin, tried multiple monitors and cables. Without the video card and or ram the motherboard calls for no errors, no beeping or anything.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

Did you reformat your hard drives first? I've never put hard drives in a new motherboard, but I've heard that you have to reformat them and revalidate windows if your useing the same disc. Hope someone else with more knowledge on this can help you out.

Edited by Sterling14, 02 February 2007 - 08:14 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

I didn't, I'm trying to salvage the data. I bought the exact same motherboard to try and prevent from reformating the HDs. Thank you for the suggestion though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users