Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should Prostitution Be Legalised In Our Countries?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

Please know that I'm not saying prostitution is a good thing - but suspect it's been around as long as mankind has existed and isn't about to vanish.

Wonder if anyone feels that it should, however, be legalized in our 'civilized' societies. Perhaps safe homes created, the girls licenced with weekly or monthly medicals required - and in return for paying tax on their income, they would also get 'fringe benefits' just like 'normal' jobs offer.

Would this not at least help to get so many of these 'ladies of the evening' off the streets and protected from 'pimps' and violence by customers, etc?

Mind you, when it comes to the hundreds of thousands of children that are involved in this 'occupation', I honestly don't think our laws are nearly strong enough. And since a stiff fine doesn't seem to deter a lot of people who use these children, do wonder if public shame might help?

For instance, once convicted of using a child, the government children's protective agency simply places a good size 'Ad' with photo and details in all local papers. (Suspect many so-called 'upright citizens' would be most unhappy to see their faces plastered where their Ministers/Pastors, co-workers, clients and family members would know just who they truly are?)
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Man of man....

NO!

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Okay, but if possible, could you be a bit more specific as to why 'No!', please?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

i must say, truly inventive posts MaraM. :thumbsup:

my feelings on people using children and the consequences are best left unsaid.

i can see a few problems with legalization of prostitution. will prices be standardized? will there be restrictions on the types of 'activities' one can request because it falls under government stewardship? how would an organization like that get medical insurance?

but it would allow many to blow off some steam.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

I'm not quite sure where i stand on the subject. I can definately see a lot of benefits surrounding legalizing/regulating the "country's oldest profession", but then again i don't want to hear children saying "when i grow up, i want to be a prostitute!!".

This might fall under the heading of "It's going to happen regardless of the law, so why not control it?" type of debates.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

Elaborate?
Is it not obvious?

Sex for money, come on.

Legalizing it would be like sending a message that there is nothing wrong with it.

Sure its going to go on but lets not give the "sluts" benefits.

I truly think its sad people do this I do. Its gotten so many killed and raped. This would not stop maybe increase if legalized.

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

While I could be wrong about this part, I suspect that most prostitutes start young, very young in many cases. And for so many reasons, sadly. But hopefully parents wouldn't encourage their sons and daughters to follow this career path even if it offered 'fringe benefits' and minimum guaranteed wages.

And although I'm sure my idea of pasting a huge picture of the beast who uses children on the front page of every local paper makes many cringe, that alone would be a huge step towards slowing down child prostitution. (On a personal level, I think the Courts have a lot to answer for when they let people get off with a slap on the wrist for buying a child - grrrr).

I don't for a moment expect it to be an accepted part of society or even approved of, but I can't help but hope that one day people who are in this 'profession' can live safer and healthier lives. (And if nothing else, surely it would slow down the spread of these dreaded disease to the innocent partners, etc?).

I honestly don't know the answers and surely the entire concept would need a bit of heavy thinking prior to implementing something along these lines, but perhaps:

1. The 'home owner' would be required to get the operating license and also be responsible for the regular medical testing and care.
2. 'Workers' must be of legal age
3. The 'home owner' would also be responsible for ensuring the safety of all employees
4. Prices could be set as per 'service' - with the owner receiving a percentage and the worker keeping the remainder ((now no yelling please, but similar to a hair salon charges for services and often pays sylists)

CGM ...Actually, with respect, it's not obvious - at least not to me. Truly it isn't. And in all honesty, CGM - reading the words, " lets not give the "sluts" benefits" made me want to weep.

First, many many many children are prostitutes - and those that are adults very likely did not wake up one day and think, "Wow, I'll be a prostitute, be dependant on a pimp, likely get beat to a pulp at least once, possibly killed, likely contract a nasty sexual disease and undoubtedly get hooked on hard drugs which my pimp will encourage so he can keep me under his control".

Life happens, and sometimes it's so cruel most of us simply can't imagine what many endure. We don't have to like what they do - or even understand it - to believe that they are people too.

Re: "Its gotten so many killed and raped. This would not stop maybe increase if legalized". I agree completely that with the statement regarding the risk of being raped and/or killed for those in this profession. But surely that would be the purpose of changing things - to stop just that. Honestly don't see how legalizing things could "increase" the killing and rapes.

And yes, actually, if they pay taxes I would expect them to be provided with 'fringe benefits' - sick days, employee contribution type life insurance and even able to contribute to government pension plan. Gentle smile.

#8 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

I am of the opinion that we should legalize it and tax the hell out of it, like they do in Eastern European countries. Obviously, their should be provisions for underage children and other illegal forms. Same thing for Marijuana. Prostitution has been around since ancient civilization, like the OP said, it is not going away anytime soon. Gambling is immoral, yet most governments have legalized and taxed it. Majority of developed countries allow it in some form. Even, the Historical setting of the bible, Israel allows it. Legalizing prostitution will allow us to regulate it and prevent minors from being taken advantage of by opportunists.

Edited by rsd79, 02 February 2007 - 01:53 AM.

Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

The original subject was NOT about moral condemnation from a pre-established position of righteousness, nor about child prostitution, but whether and in general, the legalisation of adult prostitution in certain nations would contribute to the common good.

I would think that this topic would be clarified (if not answered) if one looked at the social and individual consequences in those nations or (in the US, for example, areas) where prostitution has been legalised and regulated. We should look and see if legalisation has reduced peripheral crime and increased public health, we should look and see if it has increased the personal safety and perhaps self-esteem of the prostitute.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:00 AM

I would think that this topic would be clarified (if not answered) if one looked at the social and individual consequences in those nations or (in the US, for example, areas) where prostitution has been legalised and regulated. We should look and see if legalisation has reduced peripheral crime and increased public health, we should look and see if it has increased the personal safety and perhaps self-esteem of the prostitute.

i concur 100%. objective data must be compliled so that a logical conclusion can be drawn, and the proper procedures can be implemented.

CGM, please try to understand that while you hold sex as sacred and something to be cherished, many are not so fortunate. many of the 'sluts' have not had the same shelter you and i have. sadly, so many have been abused and had the beauty of the act stripped from them forever. they are emotionally scarred to a degree that i never want to understand. embrace compassion. if you want to watch a really good movie (clean and tasteful), rent 'Midnight Cowboy'. it will introduce you to why these 'sluts' may exist.

prostitution is legal in Nevada (not Las Vegas). i think it would be interesting to contrast the attitudes and mindsets of those people to those working the streets in other states. perhaps we could expand on this system and make it better.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

Just because I used the name slut does not mean I hate these people I just think its sad they do this.

More adults do this purposely than kids are forced to in this country I would think.

I have seen where kids are slaves to this in other though.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

Firstly MaraM,once again you have chosen a very interesting Topic to discuss.I believe because this subject covers so much that is directly and indirectly associated with Prostitution,I will stay with the Topic heading.
I can only speak from what I have learnt about Legalised Prostitution that has been first legalised in our state of Victoria in 1994, and now most states of Australia.So far Legalising it here has made no difference whatsoever.The idea was good but could not be implimented properly.The Mr Bigs of crime still control most of this business,but now they are called Sex Businessmen. Legalised Brothels were taken out of the hands of the Police,and the power given to local Councils to control.No resourses for inspectors,so no control.
CGM3,ALL Girls dont start out as "Sluts",Each one has a reason for entering that profession.Then a lot of them are degraded by customers and they turn to Drugs to shut themselves off from being so abused.The cycle begins and ends in a lot of cases with tragedy of some sort or another.I have found a link which describes why Legalisation hasn't been too successful here.Some descriptions are fairly graphic.
I found this Web page quite interesting. May have to allow popups to access.

http://action.web.ca/home/catw/attach/AUST...lation20001.pdf

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

I have seen shows on prostitution so I am not underinformed but I dont know it all about it but I doubt anyone does other than the ones that are in it.

The thing is most are not forced into it and most are not 10 year olds either. At least not for the richer countries like America and Canada.

I have seen it many times on shows like cops where they arrest these people.

I looked up the word slut on meriam online. It shows its not really the same as a prostitute. I thought the word was similar in meaning but it really means more like a person who reveals there body.

Some are teens but most are over 18 and could get a job but dont they do this.

So DSTM like you I can only speak from what I have saw and heard.

Some are slaves and most are not. Some are kids and most are not.

At least thats what cops shows.

blueandgold04

I have compassion for them. I know about this stuff of being slaves and such. I have heard of many cases. Many times where kids are taken at very young ages in poor countries and made Sex slaves to make customers happy for the owners. So very sad.

I just cant imagine someone would want to legalize something that has hurt so many girls. I feel so sorry for them. I wish the government would help them get out of this not legalize it so they can keep doing it.

And to Mara.
"reading the words, " lets not give the "sluts" benefits" made me want to weep."

What I am saying is we should not give them a prize for doing something wrong. We should by all means help them get out of this trouble.

You talk about kids mara. We should not legalize it but help them. Truly mara I feel for them I do. I hope you understand what that statement meant now.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 02 February 2007 - 01:03 PM.

#14 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Where there is a demand there will be a supply.

The reasons prostitution exists is that men want sex and are prepared to pay for it. I do not see a moral issue here at all.

If a woman chooses to have sex with a man for money, good luck to her. What's the problem there?

Child prostitution is a whole other issue.

Forced prostitution is a different matter again.

Legalising the industry can only be a positive first step towards improving the conditions and safety of the girls.

I have used the services of prostitutes a number of times over the years. It was a good experience for both sides.

I have great difficulty understanding the attitude of cowsgonemadd3. He does not explain to my why it is wrong, other than the fact that he does not like it.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#15 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

I say no because even with medical testing they can still get an STD and spread it.

They could also probably find a way to cheat on the test.

Also I don't think the taxes would ever be paid if they were required to pay taxes.

finally, you don't know the person that you are doing your business with and I think that is just wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users