Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Myspace Tracking Isps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

I have a few questions. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought I might as well give it a try.
First of all;
If MySpace.com knows your ISP when you upload pictures to it (when you click upload, a line of red text appears below the upload box saying "Thank you for uploading your image from IP address xxx.xxx.x.xx :thumbsup:"), does that mean if you have multiple MS accounts and they (MySpace) decide to delete one of them that they have a record of all the accounts you've signed up for, via checking your ISP, and can/will delete all of the other accounts that your ISP has created?
The reason I ask is because one of my MySpace profiles was randomly deleted the other day (to my knowledge there was nothing against-the-rules on it) and I'm afraid that my main profile, as well as the other ones I have, will get deleted as well. It happened to a friend of mine, who had used MySpace since 2004, had over 10,000 friends, then one day logged on to find that her entire account was deleted with no explanation.
Does MySpace actually keep a record of the IP addresses of people who sign up, or is it just an automated line of text that shows up when you upload a picture to try and scare people into not uploading anything that people could find "offensive"?
For example, if I was to create a MySpace profile and didn't do anything with it, didn't upload any pictures, only created it, would they know/store my IP address from just that account creation?
Now, my last question; is there a way to browse/use MySpace with a different ISP address? I know there are all sorts of ProxyServers out there with all sorts of IP addresses you can use, but every time I've tried using one, it won't let me login to MySpace.
Again, I'm not sure if this forum would be the right place to ask these questions, but if anyone here can give me some of the answers I'm looking for, it'd be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madrox

madrox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

Every website you connect to for any reason can and usually does track your IP address which is easily traced back to your location.

MySpace (so ive read) has the habit of doing and deleting any account they see fit, and nothing you or anyone can do will get it back. If they keep deleting it then maybe they think you are doing something your not.

There are plenty of ways to disguise your IP address but they are just as easy to decipher by someone who is trained in such things.

If you want to do something and not be tracked for it use a laptop and free wireless someplace, otherwise (long story short) it will be traced back to you.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Not really:

Use Tor/Privoxy and use PeerGuardian 2

They both work wonders. But yes, your ip address is logged on probably every web site you visit. That should be no surprise to you. Places like MySpace, uTube, and countless other places like that have drawn attention to them, mostly in a bad way. Every law official in the USA is monitoring those sites. Those sites are in the news every-other day or such. Personally, I don't see the point in getting registered on those sites, and then creating profiles to post to the world. Not me. Incognito is the name of the game.

But if you use Tor/Privoxy, and PeerGuardian, not only will you be able to mask your real ip, (actually untracable to this date), and use PeerGuardian 2, block them from connecting to your computer, you'll be good to go.

If you want to use MySpace or others, just create an account, using TOR/Privoxy 1st, then sign up... That ip will be documented, and since it changes your ip as you surf, and if you should find out it still won't let you in, then there are chances that they are using a combination of dedicated ip addresses and machine id codes to identify you.

Either way it goes, that site have every law official you can think of monitoring it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users