Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Hd And Viruses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yup

Yup

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I am about to use my system recovery CD, which I believe will reformat my hard drive. If I do have viruses/spyware on my computer, will reformatting my hard drive totally remove them? Is there anywhere left for them to hide? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Reformatting should remove viruses completely.
If you have something called a restore partition on your drive, there's a chance the files in there could be infected if the restore CDs don't recreate that partition. If you wipe the entire drive from the CD though, you should be fine.
Posted Image

#3 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks... I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

#4 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

Actually... I had a thought: I do have a partitioned hard drive... it's only like 7mb's and I have no idea how it happened. Any suggestions on how to eliminate that?

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

Most likely it's a diagnostic partition set up by the manufacturer, I see it a lot on Dell systems. Generally you don't have to worry about it, but if you like you can remove it if you're using an XP setup disk at the initial partition setup screen, or later in Windows from the Disk Management control panel.
Posted Image

#6 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Thanks again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users