Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4100 Ram Upgrade Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chaosink

chaosink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

My ram upgrade nightmare . . .

I have a classroom of 24 Dell Dimension 4100s PIII 1Ghz machines that are getting a ram upgrade. They require PC100 or PC133 non-ECC x64 chips and can handle up to 512mb total. They were running on 256MB of ram consisting of one 128MB PC133x64 (high density? chips on one side) and one 128MB PC100x64 (low density? chips on both).

After checking compatibility, I order 48 Kingston Value Ram 256MB PC133x64 non-ECC (high density?) and try to upgrade my first machine. It fails on memory check before bios launches even. I upgrade the bios and it recognizes both chips and continue to upgrade systems.

50% of the machines take the upgrade without problem, but the other half fails with half of those accepting one chip and the other 6 failing to recognize either new chip.

RAM that works in one machine will fail in any machine that fails to recognize the chips so it doesn't seem to be bad chips. The old RAM still works in machines that failed the upgrade so it also doesn't seem to be the motherboard. All of the machines are the same age with the same setup built in the same batch at Dell.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

Maybe its something with useing the higher frequency pc133? Since before you had one stick of pc100 and one stick of pc133, both of them would have been clocked down to pc100. I don't know though, this shouldn't be a problem.

Also, maybe could you try, in one of the machines that the new ram isn't working in, putting one of the original pc100 sticks and then putting in a newer pc133? Hope this helps!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

CHeck the motherboard model see what cas timings they support,

also PC 100 is normally timed at CAS 2.0, PC100/133 is CAS 3.0, PC 133 can be either 2.0 or 3.0.

you must be exact by each motherboard model in Dell even though they were made in the same batch, the motherboards probably came from different manfacturers.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

Check the RAM in the problem systems. I've found ECC RAM in a couple of Dells that said they had non-ECC. Also compare brand names on the RAM modules you already have - this may point you towards an incompatibility between the Kingston and another brand.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users