Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Notebook Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

I have a toshiba notebook (5205-5705) at work that the employees use however somone used another toshiba notebook power cord that just so happened to be 19 volts instead of the 15 volts that it is supose to use. I guess what I am getting at is I think the power supply blew from plugging the wrong cord into it. I was wondering if know if thats what might have happened because it won't power on now even with the right cord. If it is that is it easy to replace and if so where can I get a power supply for that notebook?
I'm not sure if the internal overload fuse was blown because the wrong cord was plugged into it or not. If thats what it is I also wondering how I would go about repairing that myself.
I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 01 February 2007 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wadeb_21

wadeb_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone have any advice about this. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hi wadeb_21.
Will it power up on battery power only?
Laptops don't have power supplies like desktops. The AC adapter does the conversion.
If it will not power up with only the battery connected, chances are the system board is damaged.
If it does power up under battery power only, it could very well be the power jack itself is hosed.
Here is a picture of it. The white plug you see on the other end plugs into either a seperate power board, or directly to the system board.
To test it or replace it requires virtually complete dis-assembly of the laptop.
To get an idea at what you would be looking at, see page 2, step 16 here. It's the thick black wire down the middle taped to the cooling fan.
Although this a dis-assembly walk through for the 5105, it should be nearly identical for your 5205.
I've had dozens of Dell and IBM (lenovo) laptops completely apart but very few Toshibas, except for the very old ones. Wether or not there is a seperate fuse in there or it's built-into the power jack itself, I cannot tell you.

Edited by HitSquad, 02 February 2007 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users