Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ! Cant Play Mpegs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

I dont know what I've done but for some reason I can no longer play mpeg video. I have loads of video in mpeg format and up until today there has been no problem playing them in any of the various players I have.

I'm haven't to my knowledge messed with anything on my system but now I can only play AVI and MPE files.
Mpegs wont play at all.

I've reinstalled a couple of players but it hasn't helped.

Any ideas ?

Leeboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

When you right-click an mpeg file, and select Properties, under the General tab, what does it show next to Opens with:?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:52 AM

What are the various players you use to watch your videos/mpeg files?

#4 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hi,

All my music and video opens with creative media source by default. I also have winamp, quicktime player and windows media player 11. However I've only downloaded wmp 11 today as there seems to be a problem with wmp 10 after I tried to roll back to it a few weeks ago.

I have just found that the mpegs will play in media player classic but none of the others ??

I just dont understand, everything worked fine a couple of days ago ?

Leeboy

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

I don't have the time to post a link now, but look for vnc ( i think?) media player or windows media player classic, they both have loads of codecs.

Posted Image

#6 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:10 AM

I've just realised I didn't include the error messages in the first post.

Quicktime player - error 37 bad file name or volume name encountered

wmp11 - wmp encountered a problem while playing this file. for assistance click web help.

Winamp does not display an error message, it just does not play. The same with creative media source player.

Media player classic plays the video with sound ok but I want to be able to play the files in the default media source player again.

Leeboy

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:11 AM

I think T may be talking about VideoLan. You can get it at: http://www.videolan.org

Edited by Walkman, 02 February 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#8 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

Many thanks.

Any ideas as to why mpgs have stopped playing in the other players ?

Leeboy

#9 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Maybe some sort of codec you don't have for the other players. . .I believe you can get codec packs for them somewhere. . .I don't really remember where.

Yeah, I was talking about videolan, I just hate the icon for it :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

Maybe some sort of codec you don't have for the other players. . .I believe you can get codec packs for them somewhere. . .I don't really remember where.

Yeah, I was talking about videolan, I just hate the icon for it :thumbsup:

leeboy, you can get codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com

T, they look like construction pylons/cones. That is a weird looking icon though... and it's orange too... oh, you'll know your files are defaulted to Videolan without a doubt.

#11 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

Hehe I would use videolan if the icon's weren't so terrible, and I'm too lazy to find out how to change em. Probably in that list with all the filetypes right?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users