Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vid Card Update Corrupted System Files!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

Title pretty much sums it up. Recently built myself a new PC, did the usual XP installation, anti-virus, etc. Was performing routine updates when I started to try to install the update for the video card. Basically, it wigged out, changed the resolution of my screen and froze up during the setup. When I ended the task, I had a few warnings telling me system files got corrupted, such as the chkdsk.exe file.

I'm pretty pissed, needless to say, after spending much time building the PC and setting it up only to be undone by a routine video card update. Anyone else experience this problem? I tried rebooting, and now my monitor won't recognize the hook-up. Thinking about putting in the XP disk and running repair on it. That should do the trick, right? Either that or reinstalling XP for the THIRD time.

I tried to backtrack and install the drivers that came on the CD, but couldn't uninstall the old drivers first since half the stuff in my Control Panels was missing! (Including Add & Remove Software). So that's when I rebooted and it went to hell.

Maybe install BIOS update and mobo drivers first, if any? Does the sequence matter?

Specs:
Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLi
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (2)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ - 1067 FSB
RAM: 2 Gb DDR2-800 PC6400

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Okay, I ran the repair on XP and it seemed to work, now that I'm back on and posting on this forum using the computer. I took a look at my video card drivers on the device manager and found that my 2 video cards have different drivers (looks like one's older than the other).

Is there a driver installation issue with SLi? Looks like I wasn't able to install the most recent video drivers for BOTH video card, only one. I'm guessing this is what messed my computer up in the first place. I'm thinking of removing the drivers completely and starting fresh with the drivers on the CD that came with the card.

Any suggestions?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

Have you verified that both cards are SLI capable?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, they're both SLi capable...I made sure of that. Even had the big SLi badge on the box.

Anyway, I fixed the problem on my own. Idiot me, I forgot to disable anti-virus and uninstall the old vid drivers. Well, the XP repair seemed to do a nice job and I did it right this time around...seems to work fine.

Now for updating the mobo drivers, that makes me a little nervous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users