Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:02 PM
Full disclosure: I am the president of the company that makes BackupKey.
I have no idea where HitSquad gets his information, but here are the real facts about BackupKey.
1) Support - We publish telephone numbers and email addresses on everything we make. On the Web site there is a big link to "Contact Us" with phone, fax and email.
Now, what happens when you call us? You get a human, or you get a call back from a human in short order. We are located in South Carolina and handle all of our support right here. Also, we don't force you to search for your own answers. You call us and we will answer your questions directly.
Please, please compare our support with that from Seagate, Western Digital or any other drive maker.
2) Warranty - 1 year on all current models. That information is on each product page on the Web site, as well as the Owner's Manual and inside the software. Basically, unless you abuse the hardware, we will replace it at no charge under warranty. No problem.
Please, please compare our warranty with that of any other drive maker.
3) Pricing - my goodness, do you expect all of your software to be free?
The BackupKey software is absolutely unique. First, it will give you a complete backup of all data in Windows data storage areas (all of your data except in locations that you create yourself) WITH NO INSTALLATION, NO CONFIGURATION AND NO HARDWARE SETUP. Nothing else on the market will do that.
Second, a single BackupKey device will back up 10-20 computers and manage all of the data so that it only goes back to the place it belongs, again without installation or configuration. Nothing else on the market will do that.
Now, consider what your time is worth and consider what your data is worth. Suppose you wrote a batch file to back up, but missed your email data. Would it cause you a problem if you lose it? If you can say that missing data doesn't matter and that you have plenty of extra time to manage your backups, then HitSquad is right, it's not worth the extra money. But that's worth informed consideration, not a knee-jerk observation that the product costs more than something else that is not comparable.
By the way, we have a 4GB unit coming out next week at a lower price...
4) "Prevent you from copying one file to a different machine" - not a chance! Other backup systems do that, but not BackupKey. Any file backed up to a BackupKey can be accessed, copied and used from another computer with no special software installed. I'm not sure why HitSquad is saying this, but it's not true.
5) "You take your chances with a new company" - OK, finally something I can agree with. Let's investigate this: Suppose you buy a BackupKey and we disappear the next day. First, if you never get your BackupKey, you put a stop payment on your credit card. Your maximum loss is $50. If you do get your BackupKey, you have a brand new Western Digital drive in an American Media Systems enclosure, fortified with the best backup software available (unless you spend lots of money). What have you lost? Nothing.
Now, if you want honest answers, you can call me directly. (843) 478-1100. You can talk directly to me. Just as all of our customer can. Thanks for listening.
Turnkey Technology Solutions, Inc.