Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

So, I didnt really know if this was something to worry about or not and didnt really know where to post.

I was browsing through my add/remove section doing a clean up when i noticed something off. Where it says last used the dates are all wrong. I have programs that i KNOW i used yesterday but apparently the last they were used was last year. I've also got one program saying the last time it was used was on the 15/12/2068 !!! Ive checked my computer clock and everything is fine.

I dunno what this is but could it be pointing to something abit more dodgey. Ive heard of maleware and whatnot doing strange things to your computer. Could this be a case here or am i just paranoid?

(Moderator edit: added explanatory Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 01 February 2007 - 10:43 AM.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:04 AM

Look into your eventviewer ( START RUN type evntvwr) and look for red crosses in either of the sections and post them here.

Edited by fozzie, 01 February 2007 - 08:05 AM.

#3 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi fozzie,

Im in event viewer though i had to get there via control panel. Ive got 5 sections there (application, secruity, system, aceeventlog and internet explorer). There is nothing in security or internet explorer but the other 3 have alot in them. The application section has the most errors and warnings and the system only has a couple of warnings (yellow triangle black exclamation mark). Ive had a quick look through some of the errors and they seem to be mostly to do with a game i run which frequently crashes.

Basically if i were to post them all here it would take a loooong time so is there anyway i can help by only selecting certain ones. Also what are you looking for exactly? Do you want the event or catagory or do you need the whole explanation that you get when you look under properties? Also is there a way to simply copy and paste the info?

Thanks for the quick reply.

P.S Does this sound a serious problem or is it nothing to do with viruses, etc?
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

Let's start with system. Please post any redcrosses overhere. Please also confirm in your country settings ( Control Panel Countrysettings Adjust Date.) that everything is OK overthere

#5 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

Okey.I checked my region thing and it all seems ok. England and right time and date.

The only things ive got in here (apart from loads of things labeled informatin. im guessing these are normal though) are warnings.

Warning- source: Dhcp Event: 1003 x 20
" " - source: Tcpip Event: 4226 x 11
" " - source: disk Event: 51 x6
(x# = how many occurances)

Ive tried checking these out but my computer knowledge isnt too great. As far as i can tell though they seem fine to me but again not too good with computers, which is why im here :thumbsup:
--Charles Schultz

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

I have no idea about the 2068 date unless your computer clock was way off when you installed the program.

As for the other dates, I have a theory - and this is only a theory - that non-microsoft products will show the installation date as last date used regardless of how often or how recently you've used it. My add/remove programs show several 'rarely used' programs that I used several times a day!

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm...You could be on to something there. I had a game i installed yesterday which i just started now after reading your comment. It hasnt changed when it was last used in the add/remove section though.

I was more worried that it was something like an indication that something was wrong. Its just that ive heard of viruses changing file names and such and i supposed I panicked abit.

Its not a big issue so ill sleep easy.

Thanks for your help. Im really impressed with this website and its members.

P.S One more question before i go. Is there a decent website that explains how to read HJT logs? I noticed a stickied thread saying they needed more people to help and i wanted to see if i could help out.
--Charles Schultz

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Okay, now that I'm home I've looked at all the programs in my add/remove programs.

This is what I observe: All the "last used dates" actually correspond to the installation date regardless of what company produced the software.

The designations rarely, occasionally, and frequently have accuracy only with the microsoft products, everything else generally says 'rarely' and sometimes says 'occasionally' regardless of how frequently I've used it and this goes for the security programs as well.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users