Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

Having installed a new operating system and copied hundreds of music files over to it, I now want to apply the same star ratings to each of the tracks. It took several days doing the original ratings, so I'm hoping to find a short cut to putting them back again. Can anyone tell me where the rating information is stored? So Far I've tried copying all the following folders over to my new system, but none of them adds the star ratings back onto the media player.

Documents and Settings > Adminstrator > My Documents > My Music
Documents and Settings > All Users > Shared Documents > Shared Music
Documents and Settings > Adminstrator > Application Data > Microsoft > Media Player
Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > Microsoft > Media Player
Program Files > Windows Media Player

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

Which WMP do you have?

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

What I would do is add a rating, document the time, and then do a computer search for any files that have changed, and (or) been added to the computer.

Since the file may be a hidden file, make sure your File View is set to show hidden files. Then use a registry program that monitors any registry changes. You may get lucky that way.

On another note: Are your songs still playing using WMP?

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

What I would do is add a rating, document the time, and then do a computer search for any files that have changed, and (or) been added to the computer.

Since the file may be a hidden file, make sure your File View is set to show hidden files. Then use a registry program that monitors any registry changes. You may get lucky that way.

On another note: Are your songs still playing using WMP?

Hey, spot on Walkman. Thanks for the suggestion. In spite of the huge number of files the search came up with, I struck lucky when I noticed a folder I had not looked in before, Local Settings. This has saved me at least a weeks work. For the benefit of any other members who might want to do the same thing, the folder needed is in,

Doc & Settings > Administrator > Local Settings > Application Data > Microsoft > Media Player

Thanks again

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users