Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Graphics Uma Frame Buffer Size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:08 AM

I recently got a laptop with the ATI xpress 1150 graphics in it. Its not bad for onboard and I want to do a little gaming. This chipset comes with up to 256mb UMA frame buffer (vid mem). I have a gig of ddr2 ram in this and want to know if I would get better framerates with 128mb or 256mg. I have ran some benchmarks and tests, but they are all pretty close but they were not huge games with stuff that would use all that memory. So basically, would it be better to have more system ram, or more video ram?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

no answers... i know its kinda a hard question based on personal preference. But is it better to have more graphics memory or more ram. And for slow integrated graphic like this, does it really matter?
Ex. 768mb ram and 256 vid memory OR 896mb ram and 128mb vid mem.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

Purely game performance, I would say more video memory would be of more use. Though main system performance might take a slight hit, but nothing to bad, probably won't notice it. But the extra memory will give your onboard a bit more to breath on, and help if you're playing in higher resolutions.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users