Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Hole Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mroberts3

Mroberts3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hi, I hope this hasnt been answered because I couldnt find it using a search. I found other people who had problems using a single file but the fixes didnt work for me. Here is my problem. Just recently the "my documents" folder started breaking all of my media files (audio, video, pictures, and word documents) All of the files that have been there for a long time work. IE I can still play my music and look at pictures.

Here is where things go wrong, the second a file ENTERS my documents or any sub folder, it stops working. When I try and open media files WMP says it cant acess the file. When I try to move or delete it XP tells me that acess is denied and to make sure the file is not in use and the disk is not write protected. When I take one of the good files (those in my documents that still work because I havent moved them) I am able to move it out of the folder, but once back in they too are locked. Does this make sense to anyone? What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

For now as a work-around, create a different folder separate from the My Documents folder to save your documents.

Do you remember when you started to have this problem? Had you installed any files or programs about this time?

Idea - Use system restore: Choose a date and time just before you started having the problems and restore the computer to that time and see if that fixes the problem. If you have installed any software or done any updates or upgrades between then and now, you will need to do them over again. If it doesn't fix the problem, undo the system restore and you won't have to worry about all the reinstallation stuff.

If this doesn't work, I've still a couple other ideas, and I'm sure the other members have even more.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'm just curious as to how that happened, a prank perhaps?
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

Take a look at the folder properties. It should be "read only" I believe.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Mroberts3

Mroberts3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Yes the folder is on read only. I'm hesitant to try the restore as its never helped me solve anything in the past. I don't know what could have caused it as I haven't done anything out of the ordinary recently. Also no malware detected by any scans...

#6 Mroberts3

Mroberts3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

ok, so i went to safe mode and was able to take ownership with the admin account and was able to manipulate files correctly. However, back in normal mode my account (which has admin capabilities) still cant do it. Im gonna go back and fiddle some more in safe mode. Any suggestions as to what this means?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

This may be of interest to you.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users