Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bravesentry.exe And More

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

I recently got Bravesentry.exe on my computer, and then it installed other components. My first reaction was to go into safe mode and go to ADD/REMOVE Programs and uninstall it from there. Then, I downloaded SmitFraudFix.zip, the file from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55983/how-to-remove-brave-sentry/ and tried to get rid of everything from Bravesentry. Now, for some odd reason, after I get to this screen when starting up my computer: http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7618/bbbwr6.gif, my computer restarts.

Newest Hijackthis Log
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:21:26 PM, on 1/31/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\win4339.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB1324288$\kavss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Chrono\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {407A00DB-A1A5-AC7B-C530-047965F5F0CC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wvefafk.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kav] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TraySantaCruz] C:\WINDOWS\system32\tbctray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\scieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1159052269796
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1159823099046
O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownlo...GPlugin9USA.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: klogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\klogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winsys2freg - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\winsys2f.dll
O21 - SSODL: CDRecorder029 - {A3BC5E20-0235-1ABF-9CE1-00AA00512029} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btyh32.dll
O21 - SSODL: xIOWkbMTkpNJsnd - {E0DF85D7-4A75-2F7D-F161-785EBA05C5BD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\favcx.dll
O21 - SSODL: DCOM Server 60787 - {2C1CD3D7-86AC-4068-93BC-A02304B60787} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\zhoyuei.dll
O21 - SSODL: DCOM Server 37389 - {2C1CD3D7-86AC-4068-93BC-A02304B37389} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yflzvc.dll
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 (AVP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe" -r (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

OLD HIJACKTHIS LOG

Edited by Chronotrigga, 31 January 2007 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

Your system is terribly infected. Problem with these infections nowadays is, it causes a lot of damage. Even if we clean the malware off your system, I can't guarantee that your system will be clean afterwards, because these infections/bundles leave a lot of leftovers behind that most scanners won't even recognise and logs won't show.
Also, I can't promise you we can repair all the damage it caused... Even after cleaning the malware, you can still get errors afterwards because of the damage. Solving these is not always possible since it will be searching for a needle in a haystack to find the right cause and solution.
So, we can try to clean this up and do what we can, but keep in mind that we can't solve ALL problems this malware already caused.

I guess you are dealing with the pe386 (huy32) rootkit here, causing these bluescreens after restart.

So let's deal with that first.

Please perform my steps in the right order!!!

Download
http://www.uploads.ejvindh.net/rustbfix.exe
...and save it to your desktop.

Double click on rustbfix.exe to run the tool. If a Rustock.b-infection is found, you will shortly hereafter be asked to reboot the computer. The reboot will probably take quite a while, and perhaps 2 reboots will be needed. But this will happen automatically. After the reboot 2 logfiles will open (%root%\avenger.txt & %root%\rustbfix\pelog.txt). I need those logs later.

Then look if you can boot normally again.

Then,

* Download Killbox.
Click killbox.exe.
Select the option "Delete on reboot".
Click the button: All Files (!important!)
Now it should flash green.

Now copy the next bold part:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\winsys2f.dll
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\win4339.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wvefafk.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\btyh32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\favcx.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\zhoyuei.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\yflzvc.dll

Open 'file' in the killboxmenu on top and choose Paste from clipboard

Then press the button that looks like a red circle with a white X in it.
Killbox will tell you that all listed files will be removed on next reboot and asks if you would like to Reboot now, click YES
If you don't get that message, reboot manually.

Your computer should reboot now.

After reboot,

* Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

* Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

* Reboot into Safe Mode`: ( without networking support !)

* Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {407A00DB-A1A5-AC7B-C530-047965F5F0CC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wvefafk.dll
O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownlo...GPlugin9USA.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winsys2freg - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Settings\winsys2f.dll
O21 - SSODL: CDRecorder029 - {A3BC5E20-0235-1ABF-9CE1-00AA00512029} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btyh32.dll
O21 - SSODL: xIOWkbMTkpNJsnd - {E0DF85D7-4A75-2F7D-F161-785EBA05C5BD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\favcx.dll
O21 - SSODL: DCOM Server 60787 - {2C1CD3D7-86AC-4068-93BC-A02304B60787} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\zhoyuei.dll
O21 - SSODL: DCOM Server 37389 - {2C1CD3D7-86AC-4068-93BC-A02304B37389} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yflzvc.dll

* Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.
Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!
  • Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
    (Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
    I need that log later.
* Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:
ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/drweb-cureit.exe
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and Allow to run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the "Scan"-tab, remove the mark at "Heuristic analysis".
  • Back at the main window, mark the drives that you want to scan.
  • Select all drives. A red dot shows which drives have been chosen.
  • Click the green arrow at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click 'Yes to all' if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can click next icon next to the files found: Posted Image
  • If so, click it and then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable as you'll see in next image:
    Posted Image
    This will move it to the %userprofile%\DoctorWeb\quarantaine-folder if it can't be cured. (this in case if we need samples)
  • After selecting, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Reboot your computer!! Because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
* Download Combofix to your desktop.
Doubleclick combofix.exe
Follow the prompts.
Don't click on the window while the fix is running, because that will cause your system to hang.

When finished and after reboot (in case it asks to reboot), it should open a log, combofix.txt.
Post this log in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog, the log from SDFix and the log from DrWebCureIt

You may need more than one reply to post the logs.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Yeah. After it gets to the WINXP Loading screen, the screen then turns black and then it restarts.
And, if I cannot get rid of all the malware, If I reformat, will they all be gone?

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Yes, if you format it will be all gone.
In this case a format and reinstall is actually the fastest and especially safest way, since your system is so terribly infected.

But that's up to you ofcourse what to decide. Or you format and reinstall Windows, or you perform my instructions.. :thumbsup:
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

I have decided to go and reformat. I booted up the WINXP CD Disk, and now ran it. I deleted C:/ Partition, and then created a new one. Well, upon about 30%, my computer shuts down. I re-did it again and it shuts down at 30% again.. Any reason why? :S..

I rebooted again and it made a weird noise upon starting up like a TICKTEETOCKTEETICKTEETOCK

I am going to re-do it a third time.. watching the bar rise.

Edited by Chronotrigga, 02 February 2007 - 05:17 PM.

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

That *could be because of a problem with the temperature, cpu overheating. This maybe because of dirt - dust between the cpu fan and other fans, so make sure they are spinning freely and there is a good airflow through the computer.

In anyway, this is a hardware issue, so it's better you start a new thread about this in the Hardware part of this forum, because I only have basic knowledge about hardware, so I won't be much of a help here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/

Edit.. I see you edited your post. Definitely check your cpu fans here if they are still spinning ok.

Edited by miekiemoes, 02 February 2007 - 05:24 PM.

#7 Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

Miek, you know everything! :D.
Anyway, will post if I have anymore problems. Currently at 42%, Thanks!

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

Ok, fingers crossed...but still... check your fans :thumbsup:

#9 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

Sooo??? Finally managed to reinstall Windows now?

#10 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

Since there is no feedback anymore, I assume this issue is resolved ... so, this Topic is closed.
If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users