Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Snow Geese

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:45 PM

Around here, Snow Geese are considered pests, and there's no limit to how many you can take.
These are pictures of some Snow Geese that were in the fields, across the road from the house.
These were some images I took, before going "shopping" for dinner. :thumbsup:
The images were taken at about 300 - 400 yards, on an overcast day, with intermittent rain showers.

On the ground, before I stirred them up:
On The Ground 1
On The Ground 2
On The Ground 3

Taking flight after I fired a shot, to stir them up:
Taking Flight 1
Taking Flight 2
Taking Flight 3
Taking Flight 4
Taking Flight 5
Taking Flight 6
Taking Flight 7

Here, they are starting to settle back down:
Settling Down 1
Settling Down 2
Settling Down 3

This is about as close as you can get to them, without them taking flight, and leaving the area.
They are hunted pretty hard, so they're very nervous when they see people around.
I would have taken some close-ups, but I had to leave the camera behind when I crawled them, because I didn't want to ruin the camera. :flowers:

For those that don't know, "crawling" involves sneaking up on the geese, on your belly, as close as you can get, usually within 20 - 30 yards.
The closer you get, the slower you have to move.
When some take flight, or a group comes in to light, you have to stop all movement, and freeze.
This day, it took me almost 2 hours, to get within shooting range.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Nice Pics. Thanks.

Reminds me of old "market hunting" days on the Mississippi flyways.

Rifles were the weapons of choice after 8 & 10 gauge shotguns couldn't do the work.

//Edit: Where do you all think the term "Sniper" comes from?

Edited by KoanYorel, 31 January 2007 - 05:04 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Originally used to describe someone who hunted Snipe, which was a very wary bird, that was hard to stalk and kill.
Over the years the meaning has changed, but it's still based on the same idea; Stalking and scouting, while trying to attain your ultimate goal of taking out your target.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

Those are great pics, but OMG all those birds!!

The pigeons here don't even gather in that many, and people get paid to shoot them.
One of my friends lives on Molokai and gets paid about $28/hour to shoot pigeons off the runway. I asked him if there are any job openings! :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

Wow, all I could think of when viewing the geese was 'goose poop' - eep! Think they are beautiful creatures but walking through one of our parks can be a 'keep your eyes on your feet' adventure - yuck - and letting a little one roam/crawl freely on the grass would be highly unwise. (There aren't enough 'wet-wipes' in the world to get rid of the sticky stuff!)

Even some of the authorities are concerned, thus 'egg shaking' is done ... still, they have over populated and can be true pests. No hunting is allowed here but do wonder why some of them aren't donated to the needy everytime Christmas rolls around.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

Gotta go find my 10 gauge lol. Be right there to help. (Has his hunting license)

Edited by need TOS, 17 February 2007 - 01:56 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

Great shots TG!!!

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:27 AM

Great pictures Tim, I just stumbled across this thread! :thumbsup:

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:38 AM

Don't fall to hard your nose is bound to get picked by geese...:flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by fozzie, 20 February 2007 - 04:38 AM.

#10 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

Nice pics tg.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thanks, Darthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users