Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondhand Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 missiechan

missiechan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Can anybody help me?

My Laptop died after two and a half years of service and I was sold a newish one secondhand by the guy who repaired my other one. It's working really well except that I can't connect it to the Internet.

There were three laptops in the house and a Pc, including my own. They all used the same broadband account and all we had to do was take the wire from whatever computer it was in and plug it into our one. My new computer won't do it. It was equipped with Wifi (whatever that is) and the repair man was able to connect it, but now every time I turn it on it says it detects a wireless connection but Internet Explorer doesn't work. I've plugged in the wire and the USB cable. Please help me, I need the Internet for work!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Many things could be wrong. Your NIC could be problematic, there could be problems with your network settings. What OS is running? If it's older, there could be some issues - I've personally only worked with XP and Linux networks.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Presuming you are running Windows XP SP2,Try downloading and the WinSock Fix from This Site.

Find a Technical Description of WinSock Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 jwh Bob

jwh Bob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

I had a similar problem in the past, when I plugged in at home a PC used at the office.

The solution was quite simple (on a XP) with ADSL connection:
Control Panel
Network Connections
Local Area Connection
Properties
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties

At the office was set to use "following IP address"
to use it at home I had to change into:
"Obtain an IP address automatically"
"Obtain DNS Server address automatically"

and all was done...

Cheers
Bob

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Just as a note of caution, improper use of the winsock tool can also seriously damage your computer also. It is not a 'safe' tool, meaning that it will do exactly what you tell it to do.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Just as a note of caution, improper use of the winsock tool can also seriously damage your computer also. It is not a 'safe' tool, meaning that it will do exactly what you tell it to do.

Worth repeating! I've used it a few times, and more often than not, I've had major problems! When it works, it works great! When it doesn't work, it means you might as well reinstall windows :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 missiechan

missiechan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

I removed the Wireless Connection, and although the laptop registers that it's connected to the local area connection, Internet Explorer keeps bringing up the error page! Any ideas?

And thanks for trying to help. the last computer broke my heart, I don't want this one to be the same.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

The first thing to do is try and eliminate Internet Explorer as a suspect. Go to 'Start", then 'Run', then type in cmd.exe

Once it opens a command prompt, type in:ping www.google.com

Your computer is going to attempt to send out a signal to google. If it is successful, you will get a line that states how long the signal took to go from google back to you. After 4 successful attempts, it will quit. However, if you get back a bunch of zeros in the results, or no results, you may have to type ctrl-c to stop it. If you get packets back, it is likely an Internet Explorer problem. If you don't get any packets back, it is a network problem.

When it says it has found a wireless connection, does it give you an option to log in, or anything? Would it be worth calling the person back that sold you the computer to help you with the connection issue?

#9 missiechan

missiechan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

I could call the guy who sold me the computer again, but I called him so much with the last computer. I don't want to be a nuisance over something i might be able to fix myself ^__^'

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanx for the words of caution about WinSock, groovicus and stevealmighty.

FWIW, I've never used it myself, but have seen this utility recommended quite often for this problem on the Windows XP Forum.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users