Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing Windows98

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cuss625

cuss625

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

I recently bought a computer from a secondhand store that had Windows98. I thought XP would be a better operating system, so I installed it. Now I can't get the driver for the graphics card to install. I guess the graphics card is designed for 98 and won't accept XP. When I tried to re-install 98, a message said to start in DOS and install from there. I have no clue how to do that, and I don't want to mess up the computer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

What graphics card? You just might need the XP drivers

You cannot install Windows 98 after you install XP!

If you would want to dual boot eiter Oses you have to install 98 clean then install XP.
Preferably on another hard drive partition.

But that is not what you are asking.
Can you install Win 98 after Win XP?

Nope!
Not without wiping the drive out and starting fresh.

System specs would be helpful.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

I thought XP would be a better operating system, so I installed it.

XP is a better os than 98. XP will do things that 98 can't/won't do, by default and or add on.

If you have installed XP, and you're having some issues, the 1st thing you will need to do is:

1. make sure you're have SP2 installed through the updates, and
2. make sure that after you install SP2 you reboot, then go back to update some more.

When you freshly install XP (depending on SP you have), you'll have to upgrade your SP then reboot, then go back to get the updates you need. In other words, XP won't update certain drives unless you have an updated SP on your computer.

Once you do that, it'll probably find the drivers you need.

But whatever you do, don't go back to that 98. Windows 98 is good (Second Edition), but you'll not get the full benefit of your computer, now that there is XP.

Also, in order to install your 98, you need the cd and the key code. Do you have them?

#4 cuss625

cuss625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

thanks...good advice...I also like XP better, but I tried using some games and it says problems with openGL...can't access the control panel on the graphics card without re-insalling the driver. I downloaded the driver from the internet, but it says it won't do it on XP. I downloaded the XP driver and it says it needs windows98. The graphics card is an ATI Rage128 PRO AGP 4X TMDS. I have the XP and 98 drivers, but neither one will install.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

If the game icon is on your Desktop, do this:

Right-click on the file, go to Properties, then click the tab Compatibility, then check the Run in this mode, then choose Windows 98/Me. See if that works.

#6 cuss625

cuss625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

Thanks....I'll try that

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

Also try the drivers direct from the ATI website if you have not done so already.
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/legacy-xp.html
Install DirectX 9 first!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 cuss625

cuss625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

reformatted the hard drive and put 98 back in...no sound now, though.

#9 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

if it's a sound card and not onboard, driverguide.com has a search by fcc id option. I think you have to register to download anything but it's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users