Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Go To Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 diyahnih

diyahnih

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hello,
My computer Windows Xp home edition will not go to the welcome screen to sign in. It will mot go into safe mode or use latest system recovery with setting that worked. I do not know what happened--it worked fine when i turned it off. It now won't go to welcome--its like a constant loop--compaq screen--windows xp loading screen, than back to compaq.I used f8 to try to go to safe mode--the drivers load---but no safe mode. I don't have a windows xp CD, so I have tried a windows 98 start up disk and scanned C:\, it found no errors. What could be wrong? Or do i junk it? I am using my Windows 98SE to get to bleeping computer.
any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank-You
diyahnih

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

What was the original OS on the system? What brand and model computer do you have? Many computers have a hidden recovery partitition that can be used to reinstall the operating system.

Is the other operating system also installed on the computer? If so, who and at what point was it installed?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

try doing f8 again and this time instead of using safe mode try booting windows to last good configuration.
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 diyahnih

diyahnih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

hello,
compaq presario S4100nx, Windows Xp home edition, 5.1, .Tried win98 start up disk & ran scandisk--no disk errors, made a boot floppy with ntdetect, ntldr, boot.ini--it says system32 hal.dll file is corrupt or missing & windows wont start. Have no disks to this computer--wont go into safe mode, wont use last known settings that worked, recovery console won't work. I am trying to get to welcome screen to sign in & do system restore. any ideas? :thumbsup:

Thanks
diyahnih

#5 diyahnih

diyahnih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:12 AM

I REPAIRED MY COMPUTER USING NTFS4DOS--IT WORKS--YOU HAVE SEEN THE ABOVE MESSAGES I HAVE POSTED. THIS IS THE BEST RESCUE FLOPPY I HAVE EVER USED (I USED ANOTHER XP COMPUTER TO MAKE THIS FLOPPY) WHEN MY COMPUTER CAME UP, I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT--I SENT THEM THE $10.00 DONATION GLADLY. YOU CAN ALSO MAKE A DISK IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE FLOPPY DRIVE.
PEOPLE--NTFS4DOS WORKS--THANK GOD. :thumbsup:

diyahnih

#6 ericmichael1

ericmichael1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

My computer says "Bad image checksum" when I turn it on and it will not do anything else. It also says image shell32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum. What should I do?

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hi ericmichael1! Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

You should start a new topic for your issue; you're more likely to attract the attention of someone who can help you.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 06 March 2007 - 10:11 AM.

#8 grouchyone

grouchyone

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

I REPAIRED MY COMPUTER USING NTFS4DOS--IT WORKS--YOU HAVE SEEN THE ABOVE MESSAGES I HAVE POSTED. THIS IS THE BEST RESCUE FLOPPY I HAVE EVER USED (I USED ANOTHER XP COMPUTER TO MAKE THIS FLOPPY) WHEN MY COMPUTER CAME UP, I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT--I SENT THEM THE $10.00 DONATION GLADLY. YOU CAN ALSO MAKE A DISK IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE FLOPPY DRIVE.
PEOPLE--NTFS4DOS WORKS--THANK GOD. :thumbsup:

diyahnih

How did you do it? I've downloaded ntfs4dos from avira.....what's next, pse advise

#9 diyahnih

diyahnih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

grouchyone,

I downloaded ntfs4dos on a friend's xp computer, installed it--i had a floppydisk in the floppydrive--it made the rescue floppy--it has a wizard to guide you. I took the floppy to my xp computer--it brought up the software on it--i clicked on the chkdskg--clicked yes for windows to overwrite, it rebooted & took me to the login screen. i hope this helps you.

diyahnih

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users