Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Master Hard Disk Fail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babyface

babyface

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

im using 40 gb maxtor hdd, i cant access that hdd anymore, it wont even let me boot my windows :flowers: all my files are there... In my BIOS, the name of my primary hard disk change into MAXTORARES or something like that and it was blinking, i even tried change the cables from my back up hdd but it still wont work, but when i tried the AUTODETECT on the BIOS, it can detect the hdd but when booting, it cant detect it... pls help... :thumbsup: im currently using my back up hdd as my primary hdd and it s*cks, coz this is only 6 gb hdd.
Already tried the diagnostic file from maxtor but when i tried some of the options, it failed... even the low level reformat fails... :trumpet:

tnx!

Edited by babyface, 31 January 2007 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Can you access it as a secondary drive? If you have an OS on your other hdd, then set that one to the master and the 40gb one as the secondary. Hopefully (and with any luck) you'll be able to access it to move all your files off of it.

If that fails, then you could try to freeze the drive for a while, then take it from the freezer and install it and quickly try to access it and remove your files.

If that fails too......then you may just be out of luck, short of paying a company an outrageous amount of money to try to pull files off the dead drive. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

Before freezing it or paying outrageous sums for someone to extract the data from it you could try a program like SpinRite.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

even the low level reformat fails

If you've already performed a low-level reformat, then all data on the drive was wiped an practically irretrievable, sorry.

It sounds like the drive has gone to the big memory dump in the sky, unless anyone has a way to resuscitate it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users