Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:27 AM

Hi,I am try ing to determine why my PC goes like a duck shot in the under carriage,and all of a sudden when surfing,my PC stops as though shot.I dont know much,but would like to find the culprit.
I pressed Ctrl>Alt>Delete and it showed CPU useage 100%. The Graph shows" FahCore-78.EXE" as useing 98%.Have no clue what this is.Any help that a newbee can understand would be so helpful. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hello DSTM:

I cannot find too much on that file, but what I do find indicates a connection with folding@ home. Are you involved in that by any chance?

Also, what kind of computer do you have, how much RAM do you have, how much memory do you have on the hard drive, and what kind of internet connection do you use: dial-up, dsl, satelite . . . ?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:01 AM

Hello DSTM:

I cannot find too much on that file, but what I do find indicates a connection with folding@ home. Are you involved in that by any chance?

Also, what kind of computer do you have, how much RAM do you have, how much memory do you have on the hard drive, and what kind of internet connection do you use: dial-up, dsl, satelite . . . ?

Thanks for a quick reply Orange Blossom.You may have hit the nail on the head.I indeed have Folding running all the time.Will quit while I'm surfing.I understand Folding works when PC is shut down anyway,so it will take a little longer to finish a unit.Some specs of my pc are in my sig.I have 768 Ram,Hard drive is partitioned.Available Capacity on C Drive is 136GB and free space is 129 GB,so I thought my PC was more then capable to handle Folding and surfing at the same time.I have a feeling that some other security programe is auto updateing right at this moment.If so I'll just have to find what it is.Does this sound feasible?Just can't undestand why this EXE shows 98% CPU and there is nothing else on the graph significant enough to warrant a problem.I am on ADSL 56k modem if this helps.

Edited by DSTM, 31 January 2007 - 04:09 AM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:26 AM

I didn't even see the system specs in your sig. They just ran into your famous sayings :flowers: .

Hmm. If you haven't read the initial posts in the folding@ home thread I'd suggest doing so. There's a lot of information there about CPU usage, pausing the program, and what version of the folding program to use both for stability and controlling CPU usage. Anything I post here would be a duplicate of anything in that thread. I'm sure you've seen it pinned to the General Chat forum.

It does seem wise to me to pause the folding while you are using the computer, especially when doing scans or installing stuff.

Simultaneous automatic updates, surfing, and folding just don't seem like a good mix to me.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:28 AM

DSTM I have been doing some reading on this. Fahcore-78.exe is the Folding@home client. From the looks of it you might have some temperature issues with your CPU. This is not really my stronghold. Please let me know what kind of security programs you have installed to rule out that possibility.
You might want to download coolmon and process explorer. Coolmon gives you some more info on your CPU like temparatures and process explorer gives you which process is linked to which programm.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:56 AM

Thanks so much Orange Blossom and Fozzie for your expertise.Will research CPU possible problems and stop some of these programs working at the same time. :thumbsup:

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:53 AM

I forgot to mention that the two programs i mentioned are in the freeware section.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

Hi Fozzie,Downloaded Coolmon2 and installed.Any tuts on how to use?Thanks
Still looking for instructions. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 31 January 2007 - 07:19 AM.

#9 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

Here you can find what you are looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users