Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 v1pcpg

v1pcpg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

I recently tried to install Norton Internet Security 2007 and have run into a problem. On this machine I updated to XP from Millenium a few years ago which is apparently causing the problem. To install this the Symantec software I used ADD/Remove programs to remove Internet Security 2006 and rebooted. No problem. Then I ran the Norton Removal tool recommended by Symantec to remove any remaining remnants (also Norton GOBACK) and rebooted. To my astonishment instead of booting into XP it's trying to go to Millenium and stops at a screen thats asking for the Millineum CD or backup diskette. I was able to get back to XP by booting from the Microsoft upgrade CD and did a restore to a previous working copy. That did not work but I'm still able to get into XP using the upgrade CD. It appears the Norton removal tool eliminated something I need to boot correctly.

So now I'm saving all essential data with the expectation that I may have to start from scratch, reformat the Hard Drive and reinstall XP but I'm not even sure I can do that because I tossed the Millenium backup disks and don't have a product code for that OS which I think I need to reinstall from the upgrade CD. I would really rather find a way to fix the boot sequence rather then reinstall everything. I've looked at BOOT.INI and it appears to be loading XP. I haven't looked at other important files like Ntldr, Ntdetect.com, Ntoskrnl.exe and Hal.dll to see if they're in the system32 folder. I have of course been in contact with Symantec tech support.....no comment . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

Try running the System File Checker.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

Use the Recovery Console option (press R at the first screen) when starting an install of XP (you won't have to reinstall XP).

Then type these commands into the Recovery Console (pressing Enter after each one):

fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

That should fix your boot issues - let us know how it works out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 v1pcpg

v1pcpg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

Just wanted to let you know I've resolved the problem. Unfortunately, running recovery console and executing the suggesting commands didn't work. The problem was caused by Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files in an EBD folder (Millennium Emergency Boot Disk) that was loading the Millennium Emergency Start Menu before XP had a chance to load. I believe this folder was left on my system when I removed Norton GOBACK as part of the process of uninstalling the previous version of Symantec products on my system before upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2007. I think this is the last iteration of any Symantec product I put on my system. Their tech support is IMO ineffective and the product is to dangerous to play around with. Thanks for all your suggestions. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users