Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securely Connecting 2 Comps.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 want2no

want2no

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

Our pc is connected to dsl and I would like to connect my laptop to our dsl so my wife and I can use the computers at the same time. I'm not sure I want to go wireless because of security issues. Is there a way for me to connect both computers to the dsl modem and not adversly affect either computer. My laptop has a built in wireless card will this effect the way it operates on the dsl modem. Thank You for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

Our pc is connected to dsl and I would like to connect my laptop to our dsl so my wife and I can use the computers at the same time. I'm not sure I want to go wireless because of security issues. Is there a way for me to connect both computers to the dsl modem and not adversly affect either computer. My laptop has a built in wireless card will this effect the way it operates on the dsl modem. Thank You for your help.

The basic need for you to connect the 2 PC's to DSL is a router.
Buy one at the local store, it comes with a quick setup guide.
As for the laptop, if you keep it mobile, then you can use the laptop for what it is made for.... mobility.
The wireless connection can be secured so that you feel safe.

Linksys is a good manufacturer, and since Cisco bought them, the routers are pretty good and have a very user friendly interface.
Their tech support is also really good and a tech can guide you on the phone thru each step for installation and configuration.
A router will also act as a firewall making your PC's more secure from external attacks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users