Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Burning Cds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nikki_624

nikki_624

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

I have Windows XP, and I use NTI Cd and Dvd Maker, Windows Media Player, and Real Player to burn cds, I have never had a problem with any of the programs until recently. When I burn a cd it will only play on my computer and not on my various cd players, I used the same brand of cds and they have worked before, but not now, any ideas?

Edited by nikki_624, 30 January 2007 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

You are probably using software that is decrypting your data as in DRM (Digital Rights Management), thus preventing your cd's from playing elsewhere.

If you insist on using Windows Media Player to burn your cd's (which I think caused this) then you need to go into the settings and uncheck the Protect My Files option. It's a very sneaky trick that MS has Windows Media Player set to by default. And it means that by default, your music is practically held hostage on your computer.

But if you tried those same cd's in more than one different standalone cd player and they don't play, but they play only on your computer, then they are indeed encrypted, and you won't be playing them anywhere else except on your pc.

You can verify it by putting those same cd's in other computers too. You'll probably get the same results.... they won't play.

Also, if you're ripping cd music, I'd look for a more friendlier software to use, and stay away from burning softwares such as WMP and RealPlayer.

I've been logging many posts here, since I've became a member, and so far 95%+ of the burning and playing problems that I've read, and posted to had this in common:

They were ALL using Windows Media Player.. Many were using RealPlayer, and many were using iTunes.

The more and more cd/dvd complaints I read about, it's been narrowed down to those programs as the causes for these problems. Just do a search of any post on cd/dvd problems, and you'll see that probably every one you read, Windows Media Player is involved somehow.

So... go figure.

Ohhh, and these are facts, not just my opinions either.
================================================================
[Added Info]
What you may want to do is go to your Device Manager, and select your burner, then delete it, then reboot your computer. Windows should find/install the drivers for it. After it does that, try to burn something. But don't install any drivers if you have them. Just test it out 1st. Hopefully you have re-writable discs.

Also, if that doesn't work, read this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...f=7&t=79476

and look for post no#7

Edited by Walkman, 30 January 2007 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users