Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading From Xp Media Center 2005 To Vista

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

I'm stump in what to do in upgrading to Vista, i unfortunately had to get a new PC 3 weeks ago so i got XO Media Center 2005 on it..........I presume i need Home Premium of Vista to match what i have don't i?

Windows Vista Home Premium
Recommended system requirements
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 GB of system memory

40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

WDDM Driver

128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

32 bits per pixel

DVD-ROM drive

Audio Output

Internet access (fees may apply)

with those reccomended requirements listed above from Microsoft what do i need to do to get good performance from Vista?

me system specs are:

Pentium D 2.8Ghz
1GB ram
256 mb Intergrated graphics (supports PCI graphics)
160GB hardrive (7200rpm) split to C & D but C: has 60GB free space.....
DVD Dual Layer

Internet Access, audio output...

i don't understand pixel shader.....can anyone tell me what that is and would i have it on a last year model PC??????

I have a thing on side of PC saying Designed for Windows XP then it has in black "Windows Vista Capable"

i want 2GB ram for Vista for a start so programs have a bit of ram to run with.......

Because i have a store factory PC with no software CDs for drivers and windows, would my only option be to upgrade only?

Am i better off saving money in keeping Office 2003 than upgrading to 2007???? as 2003 suppots the new file format......HTML or whatever....?

Edited by Izzy, 30 January 2007 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

You do not have Pixel Shader 2.0. Few integrated graphics chips do. You will still be able to run Vista fine, you just won't get the AeroGlass interface.

Have a look here.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

You do not have Pixel Shader 2.0. Few integrated graphics chips do. You will still be able to run Vista fine, you just won't get the AeroGlass interface.

You never know though. Few integrated graphics cards have 256 mb either. What kind of card do you have?

Also if you want to upgrade to Vista and keep media center which I recommend as its awesome in Vista, then your two options are Home Premium and Ultimate.

For performance 2GB will definitely help but the rest of the specs look fine.

As for office 2003 to 2007, only upgrade if you need to. Remember that by default the new format for word documents are .docx documents. These are xml based documents and previous version of windows wont be able to open them with out an addon which most people wont know to get. So only ugprade if you need the features.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

don't know what intergrated graphics is apart from it uses 256mb ram from the 1GB ram i have......

So i was going to purchase a Graphics card though not sure which to get.......it said in manual about PCI graphics support so i would presume i would get a PCI graphics card intead of AVG or whatever, so if i were to get one to run Vista Aero, what would i get and what would it cost say Ausie dollars??? But to be honest Vista Aero theme isn't really that important its just black but if graphics cards to run aero are a bit expensive what would i get to run Vista nicely?

I'll probably only need office 2003 (though Office 2007 would suit the windows theme but why spend $$$ in which what i have will do the job)....

Edited by Izzy, 31 January 2007 - 11:15 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:57 AM

Running Windows Upgrade Adviser will tell you if your integrated video card can handle Vista. Few on-board cards can. I assume by PCI you're referring to PCI-Express. There are many cards you can get that will allow Aero and aren't that expensive. Or you could go all out and grab a GeForce 8800. I believe that anything more powerful than an ATI Radeon 9500 and most of the nVidia GeForce 7 series will run Aero. Cards can run, in US dollars, from about $80 and up. By going with a dedicated graphics card, as opposed to your current integrated solution, you will free up RAM that would have gone towards graphics processing.

Edited by DJBPace07, 01 February 2007 - 02:57 AM.

3939.png

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:57 AM

If he had Pixel Shader 2.0 in the integrated graphics, the sticker on his machine would say "Windows Vista Premium Ready" instead of "Windows Vista Capable". It fills all the other requirements.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

If he had Pixel Shader 2.0 in the integrated graphics, the sticker on his machine would say "Windows Vista Premium Ready" instead of "Windows Vista Capable". It fills all the other requirements.

Ahhh..didnt know they made that distinction. Good to know.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

I figured i needed something as "Capable" doesn't mean much as "Ready" so which is why i was asking on Grphaic solutions to ise and yeah i think it was PCI-Express, so i'd need one that has Pixel Shader 2.0 maybe need to wait a little while before they start coming out more as its still early at the moment.....

Another quick question:

My uncle wants to upgrade vista but unsure which version he needs:

He has XP Home, though Vista Basic is a bit Basic and he doesn't really need Media Centre in the Premium, is there one in between which burns CD/DVDs and Aero Theme?

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Unfortunately not. Aero and burning only comes with Premium. Business, and Ultimate. You can still burn dvd/cds with home basic, but you will need a 3rd party product for that.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

IMO, Vista basic will give you a lot of the benefits of Vista without the overhead that goes along with it. FYI - I'm typing this on a Vista Basic system that we got last night (a bottom-line Compaq laptop).

I personally don't like like Office 2003, but if you can live with it you'll save a lot of money by staying with it. But Office 2007 is great! I'd suggest giving the trial version a whirl to see if you like it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

You can also try it here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products...1687261033.aspx

Doesnt require you to actually install the trial.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

My uncle will need premium then, thanks for that....as so will i for media centre purposes.....now to be honest the Aero theme is nothing spectacular and very not important is it? what theme is installed instead, "Windows Classic" or Aero Theme in style of the old XP?

Is Office 2007 HOME & STUDENT be used for anyone using it at home only or is that the same as Student & Teacher crap.......and will need the standard version.....

As i'm only in need of Word and Excel really as i'm sure you can download a copy of powerpoint viewer 2007....

Edited by Izzy, 03 February 2007 - 05:26 PM.

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

I just ran Windows VIsta Upgrade Adviser and this is what the results say:

Windows Vista Home Premium is best for your PC

Category Action Required Explanation:
CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz
System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 1.00 GB of RAM.
DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
DVD-RW drive No action required You can record DVDs on your computer.
Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.

It said to uninstal Nero 7 before upgrading to Vista due to compatability.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Is Office 2007 HOME & STUDENT be used for anyone using it at home only or is that the same as Student & Teacher crap.......and will need the standard version.....

Home and Student is their home edition. Contains word, excel, powerpoint and onenote

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

so in word Home and Student can be used and purchased by anyone for Home Use Only....yes or no?

Edited by Izzy, 04 February 2007 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users