Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taketheinternetback

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

So my friend recently made a ghetto server out of computer parts and made his own website. When looking for ads apparently he stumbled across this: //www.taketheinternetback.com . So I was wondering if you guys think this is for real? I mean I'm very picky about this stuff, but after reading through everything on the website it looks legit. If you don't want to go to that site I'll explain what this website does.

What they do is based on your what kinds of e-mails you are interested in they send e-mails to you. All you do is when the e-mail comes is click a confirmation link and you receive a point, which leads to a certain amount of money they will pay you. At first I thought this was to good to be true, but I guess it does make sense. Its not like there paying hundreds of thousands of dollars out to people for clicking these e-mails either, just a few cents.

So what are everyone else's feelings about this program? I signed up just to try it to and so far it seems pretty fair. Please don't take this post as me endorsing this website. I'm just trying to see if anyone else uses this or thinks its for real.

-Sterling

//Mod edit of URL

Edited by KoanYorel, 30 January 2007 - 06:04 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

My philosophy is: if it sounds to good to be true, it generally is.

From reading it, it sounds like the same kind of process as becoming a sales rep. for companies like Longaberger Basket Company, Rexair, Tupperware etc. A few will be 'successful' but many will not. I personally think that this kind of selling exploits friendships and relationships and I would not become involved in it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

If anyone gets involved with these types of web sites, just make sure that you:

NEVER use your real email address.
NEVER click on any links in those emails
NEVER surf without a firewall and ip blocking protection
NEVER use an email account that doesn't check for viruses or such
NEVER forward those emails to people you don't know

And when closing out your browser, or even while surfing, make sure you are using something that will delete those temp files and tracking cookies that WILL be left on your computer.

Also, just use some common sense.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies! Ya i know not to give out any credit card numbers or anything. I'm just going to see if it works and if anything even the least bit suspicious happens I'm going to stop.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users