Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Acting Very Badly ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

I do apologise if I'm posting inthe incorrect section, particularly since I've run all my 'anti-bug' software and nothing seems to be showing - but my computer has been acting ever so strangely the past week or so.

Did download a program shortly before the problems developed but after great difficulty, used 'System Restore' to revert back to a much earlier date (mainly because the problems were so bad that even reaching System Restore was horrible, then it wouldn't work on any other 'highlighted' date but a month ago).

Still having difficulties, for instance:

Computer's mouse 'roller' will often change the page I'm looking at, here for instance, back to the previous page.

Computer keeps 'freezing' and even trying to manually push the stop button on the tower itself won't work - had to unplug it from the wall!

Computer also 'freezes' often when booting up - sigh.

Do have all updates and have run Ad-Aware, Spy Bot Search and Destroy, C Cleaner plus Zone Alarm and AVG run constantly.

However;

Although AVG shows no infection, it does show:
" File: i hosts / Result: Change / Path: C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\etc\hosts"

So opened C Cleaner once again and this time went to the section called 'Issues' ...

Most of what it shows is 'Active X' stuff ... so I wonder:

1. Is it always 'safe' to trust C Cleaner under the 'Issues' section and simply let it always 'fit' or delete anything it finds there?

2. If I'm horribly confused because I thought only IE browser used Active X things - and since I literally never use IE, how do I get them and is there a way I can stop all 'Active X' from entering my computer?

Thanks so very much for any help.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

To answer your questions :

1) Go under options - advanced and tick prompt for registry backup. After the scan you will be prompted to store a backup. As a default this will be stored in My Documents folder. restoring this will be easy. simply klick on the stored backup and you are ok again

2. Active X controls are installed whils you are surfing. YOU CAN ask IE to prompt you like below.
a. Start Microsoft “Internet Explorer”.
b. Click “Tools” menu.
c. Click “Internet Options”.
d. Click “Security” tab.
e. Click “Internet” icon.
f. Click “Custom Level”. The “Security Settings” box appears.
g. Go to the “Settings:” frame.
h. Select “disable” for each of the 5 options under “ActiveX controls and plug-ins”.
i. Click “OK”. A “Warning!” dialog box appears.
j. Click “Yes”.
k. Click “OK” to close the “Security Settings” box.
l. Click “OK” to end.

Edited by fozzie, 30 January 2007 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Which file did you download?

I certainly do not trust blindly 'fixing' all issues with CCleaner.

There will be Active X installed simply by virtue of needing to do Windows Updates. Windows updates uses Active X. Firefox doesn't use Active X, however, there are files and programs that do use Active X and you might have or did have one or more of these on your computer.

It sounds as though whatever it is you downloaded has compromised your Hosts file at the very least. At this stage I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log. Be sure to include the name of the file you downloaded and where you downloaded it from. Break the link so it isn't live.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hi Fozzie,

Okay, have made a note to always ask for 'prompt' to back up with C Cleaner and then save the backup - especially glad to know that all one has to do is simply click on the stored back-up and poof, all is well once again.

Thanks so much for the instructions re IE and 'Active X' files, but I honestly never use IE. (Only Netscape and FireFox as my browsers). But off to see if I can find something similar within these two browsers - great to know that I can prevent Active X! Yipee!

Thanks so very much!

Oops, just realized that your message and mine 'crossed' each other once again :thumbsup: , Orange Blossom.

Oh dear, I was trying not to say that it was 'Folding' that I had downloaded and installed. I have no way of knowing if it was actually the cause of if my computer was simply waiting to throw a hissy-fit for another reason.

Aha, now I know how I got the Active X - because of the Windows updates! You're right, the updates arrive via IE browser and I let it update anything it likes (except for the updated IE browser - eep!).

Thanks for all your detailed help in how to create a HJT log, as well, Orange Blossom - when I read the guide, realised that I've done a lot of it and now am off to download and run both AVERT stinger and HiJackThis. (Is a 'bump' when someone posts and then re-posts before anyone can help them - ergo, moving them to 'head of line', I wonder? - if so, promise not to do it).

Thanks again for your help!

Mara

Edited by MaraM, 30 January 2007 - 05:38 PM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

As far as your hosts file is concerned read thru this post. I use this and never had any trouble again in this respect.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Yes MaraM, once you've post in the HJT forum do not make any comments to that post until the Team member responds to you. Makre no more changes to your PC either once posted until Team member advises you to.
You may ask further questions about your system here or in other posts.
If for some reason you do not get e response in 5 days go HERE.
You will be helped and fixed........
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users