Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Exactly Is Adobe And What Do I Need It For?.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question but I have to ask it anyway. While reinstalling my programs after my son reformatted my PC I installed Adobe 8 as part of something else but can't remember what. At the time I didn't reinstall my Microsoft office 2000 as I didn't really use it and was trying to only have programs which I used installed. I remember that all my note/wordpadfiles became Adobefiles at the time.

Today my daughter asked me to reinstall Office as she needed it for some of her college coursework. On reinstallation all my written files have now reverted to Word which is okay but my question now is what do I need Adobe for. I cannot ever remember seeing it on anything other than written files and if it is not being used I might as well uninstall it. I just wanted to check that this is okay to do so that I don't get a problem with some necessary invisible application which needs Adobe to run.

In my add or remove list of programs I have Adobe Reader 8 and Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X listed.

Appreciate any help offered. Thanks in advance,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Adobe Reader is used to open .pdf files. You will usually find manuals in the .pdf form. Adobe Flash (formerlly Macromedia) is needed to view certain videos/images/games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Acrobat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info TT75. I will just leave them installed then.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users