Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun.inf Trojan? Here's My Hijack Log...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheThinker

TheThinker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hello. My home computer no longer uses an internet connection, and when it did I took precautions such as a firewall (Zonelabs), Avast Anti-Virus, etc. Now, I frequent my college campus's computers and use a flashdrive whenever I wish to download some content. I ALWAYS scan this content for viruses, malware, spyware and hijacks before inserting the flashdrive into my computer with:

Avast
AVG antivirus
Spybot
AdAware
Edwido
A-Squared anti-hijack
Super Antispyware
Spyware Terminator

However...my college campus computers now :thumbsup: detect a file called AUTORUN.INF on my flashdrive with Symantec Antivirus, which marks it as a trojan. To this date I cannot find the source of this file, whether from the campus computers or my own home computer (which does not detect this file at all, even with the above programs).

If Symantec Antivirus has a removal tool for this, I would like to know. I've been digging and digging for it, with no avail. Anyway, here's my Hijack This log. Don't be surprised about the shortness of the list; I disabled a good deal of unnecessary programs and services that I no longer need. Plus, I have not used the flashdrive on my own computer after the scan date.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:10:12 PM, on 1/25/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KOfcpfwSvcs.exe
C:\Program Files\security\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.emachines.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Web Class - {D03B6018-E880-4A89-99A2-7354FE52DDAE} - C:\PROGRA~1\NLIA\Nlia.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KOfcpfwSvcs.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\KOfcpfwSvcs.exe
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS

Any help would be great. Thanks a bunch! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hello TheThinker and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. We have a few things to do. Please print these directions and then proceed with the following steps in order.

To start with, it appears that there are multiple anti-virus applications running on this computer (AVG and Avast). It is not recommended to have this because it can cause file access issues and if there is an infection the multiple programs can block each other from dealing with the infected file. I highly recommend that you choose which application you want to keep and uninstall the other one(s) to prevent these problems.

Next, your version of Ewido is out of date and no longer supported. Uninstall it and update it to the latest version:

Download AVG anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
  • Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need to run AVG Anti-Spyware and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen, under "How to act" select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close AVG Anti-Spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet, we will shortly.

Now start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KOfcpfwSvcs.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\KOfcpfwSvcs.exe
Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Next,

We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Find the following files/folders and delete them (don't worry if they are already gone):C:\WINDOWS\system32\KOfcpfwSvcs.exe
Now,
  • Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
    IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-Spyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Launch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • AVG Anti-Spyware will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
    • IMake sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine, if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.
    • At the bottom of the window click on the "Apply all actions" button
    Note: Don't save the report before you hit the Apply action button.
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important).
  • Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode and post the results of the AVG Anti-Spyware report scan back here along with a new HijackThis log.
Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 TheThinker

TheThinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Thanks OldTimer!

Actually, my home computer does not have an internet connection (hence my use of campus computers), but I did run my AVAST Anti-Virus just a while ago in Safe Mode, and it removed that process you mentioned. The reason why this worked now and not before is because a brand new update was recently available at the AVAST website, and I manually installed it using my flashdrive (being careful to use my college campus's Symantec Anti-Virus, just in case). Even better, both Symantec at the college and my AVAST program detected no more trojans on my flashdrive.

After the safe-mode scan, neither HijackThis or Autoruns list this process, but I will do the other instructions you mentioned and give you their logs, including the log from AVAST. Perhaps there was something I missed.

Thank for the instructions! If that bug is STILL there, I'll give AVG-Antispyware a try. Is the AVG brand better than AVAST, I wonder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users