Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin Network Dropout Problem Again!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseW

LouiseW

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi

about 6 weeks ago I changed my old unreliable belkin USB network adapter for a wireless g desktop network card, which took a while to get going, but eventuually got it all up and running and everything was sweet - for a while!!

Now the network seems to drop in the same manner that the old USB connector did - anytime I leave the machine idle then come back, it has disabled the connection and cannot connect again - any internet related applications hang, eg IE, Outlook etc and I have to switch the machine off and on again to reset

is it possible that the signal strength is the issue? Just moving my tower by an inch or 2 seems to make a difference

I also recently installed a Pika One HD for creating backups - could this be a problem?

Thanks

Louise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Check you settings for the wireless adapter in Control Panel->Network Connections. Right-click the wireless connection and choose Properties. Then click 'Configure'. there may a tab for 'Power Management'. If there's an option for "Let the computer switch off this device to save power" make sure it's UNticked.

#3 LouiseW

LouiseW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hi Pip

no 'Power Management' option but there is a Power saving Mode with 3 options:
CAM (constantly awake mode)
Fast_PSP (power save mode)
Max_psp (Max power savins)

The card is set to CAM and still it drops out

Louise

#4 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

LouiseW, try switching to another channel. Can you log into your router's setup info? For example, if it's a Linksys router, typing 192.168.1.1 in the url will get you to the setup screen. Access it via your user name and password. Any other brand should have some info on their website to do the same. From there you can change the channel (usually 6 by default). Try channel 1 or channel 11. While you're on the router manufacturer's website, you should also check the firmware for the latest version. Compare this to what your router is currently running on, and if newer version, download and install. A new channel and the latest firmware should help.
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users