Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Windows Xp 2002

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

I've searched this forum but nothing comes up thats suitable.

3 years ago I was given a copy of WinXP I did a format and installed winXP no problem. I didn't like it so I put Win98se back in.

18 months ago I decided to buy a genuine copy of Windows XP 2002. I did the same procedure a format and rebuild, it went in again without any problems. I tried it for a week and still didn't like it so Win98se went back in.

Before Christmas I decided WinXP has got to go in, so again I did a format and install. This time it comes up with this error with occurs when it loads all the initial drivers for installation.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates, try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

Stop! 0x0000007E(0xC000001D, 0x8084006E, 0xF9E7BB9C, 0xF9E7B898)

I changed the BIOS settings but that made no difference, the same error appeared. The BIOS is the same as it was 18 months ago and it install ok then.

I have a 20Gb HD, 256Mb RAM I've had do hardware updates for years apart from a new modem 6 months ago.

I noticed that occasionally it seemed to be using a lot of memory. I write programs in VB and my memory checker sometimes shows 7Kb usable memory left. So I decided to upgrade the memory to 500Mb, but that made no difference it still stops at the error.

I've searched M$ but nothing comes up.

I tried the M$ system for reporting errors and that system is use less. It asks for the PID number of the machine. Well if I can't install WinXP I can't get this number. I tried reporting this error on a WinXP machine and copied and pasted the PID number in but the screen won't move on it just sits there with no errors.

Does anyone know of a good link for reporting errors to M$?

Thanks for any help you might give. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi, Keithuk.

See if any of these work for you.

The artice mentions that damaged RAM may be one possible cause.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 January 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thank you Andrew. I found that page when I did my M$ search but there is nothing on there that gives any indication of the problem.

Method 1: Make sure that you have sufficient hard disk space
I have a 20Gb formatted drive.

Method 2: Update the computer BIOS
The BIOS is exactly the same as it was on the two other XP installs, and that worked.

Method 3: Disable or update device drivers
I don't need any additional drivers before install.

Method 4: Remove unsigned drivers
Just the same.

Method 5: Remove all third-party drivers
Same again. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 31 January 2007 - 10:03 AM.

Keith

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

what about the RAM?

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:07 PM

what about the RAM?

As I've said originally I had 2x128Mb (256Mb) so after Christmas I bought some more 2x256Mb (500Mb) which is more than enough. :thumbsup:

Keith

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Whoops, right. You did say that.

Try this: use only one chip of RAM, removing and setting aside the others. If the error re-occurs, turn off and try each other chip in turn until all chips are tested. This should help determine whether/which RAM chip(s) are responsible.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Here's a link to this error message: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7e

You can test your RAM with this free utility (doesn't need Windows to run): http://www.memtest86.com/

Check your Event Viewer for more specifics on the errors Oops! Didn't read it well enough! The second link below describes how to locate BSOD info - you can find those locations by using a Live Linux distro, or with a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD (in order to get further information on the errors. Here's some resources about that:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

Finally, there are several setup logfiles that log the errors that are occurring and may provide further info on the errors. Here's a couple of links about them:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...0200/40200.html
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/insta...etupapilog.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;891892

Edited by usasma, 02 February 2007 - 09:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Usasma. But most of those links apart from the first one talk which talks about Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 Joystick and the rest talk about once Windows as already started. I can't get Windows XP to install, it crashes when it loads all the initial drivers for installation.

The error reporting system on M$ is s***.

A couple of years ago I bought Microsoft Train Simulator. That installed no problem, I can run it for 10 to 15 minutes then it just stops and I get the Microsoft message send this error report to Microsoft.

I contacted M$ just a straight forward email from there site.

I've notived this is a poor forum because there is no Edit button if you make a mistake or need to add something. Well you can only edit once.

Does anyone know of a good link for reporting errors to M$?

Edited by Keithuk, 04 February 2007 - 10:09 AM.

Keith

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

You can report errors to Microsoft until the cows come home - but if they don't have a solution they won't send you anything back.

The articles were not about Soundblaster - but rather about locating the setup log files. Each article discusses different ways and means of locating and using the setup logfiles to fix problems with an installation.

Your issue is that you can't get at the log files - which isn't unusual in this situation. But all it'll take is a Live Linux distro, or an UBCD boot disk to find those files (if they exist) and read them to locate the cause of the error.

But, since you obviously know more about this than I do - I'll just bow out and leave you to your own devices.

PS - this "poor forum" does have and Edit button.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users