Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Launch Event In Nyc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

As many of you know the general availability launch of Windows Vista occurred last night from Times Square in NYC. I was able to get an invite and attended the launch event as press. The event started at 3:30 pm and went to around 9pm. Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and others were expected to do the press release at around 4:45 with the launch of Vista occurring around 5:30 PM. It was cold in Manhattan yesterday, so other than the welcome warmth when I entered, we were also greeted with an open bar and food being passed around. After quickly grabbing a drink and checking my coat, I started to look around. From media center to gaming, there were little areas setup where you can learn a little bit about Vista. Other than examining the hardware, there was nothing much new to learn, so I went into the main auditorium where I was greeted by the pre-press event entertainment.
I am not exactly sure who these guys were, but they were awesome. There were three guys slamming away at drums along to classic rocks songs and newer songs. They were very cool to watch. Right before the press event, Microsoft brought out Angels and Airwaves where they played one of their songs.
When they were done, Bill and Steve Ballmer came out and delivered their speeches. When they were done, Vista was launched in Times Square and the rest of the celebration continued.
Unfortunately, I could not stay too much longer but as I was leaving I noticed they were giving out gift bags. The bags contained a copy of Vista Ultimate, year subscription to Windows One Care, and some other goodies. Don't worry, these will be given out in a contest coming soon here at BC!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting Grinler, it definitely sounded like a great event, thanks for the pictures. I queued for 3 hours to get tickets to see Angels and Airwaves when they played in London, and I missed the last train home after the concert. And you got to see them for nothing! :thumbsup:

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

Sound great... but I am still unsure if I really want to upgrade to vista...

Can't wait to hear about the contest.

#4 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:35 PM

Wow! Thanks for the report back Grinler! Sounds like it was a great experience, hope you enjoyed it!

Warm regards
Kyle
Regards,
Kyle

#5 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

I don't care what band they had, Balmer and Gates couldn't act cool if their lives depended on it. Steve Jobs pulls of the cool 'schtick' effortlessly, but not these guys.

Edited by Haroldo, 31 January 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

I don't care what band they had, Balmer and Gates couldn't act cool if their lives depended on it. Steve Jobs pulls of the cool 'schtick' effortlessly, but not these guys.

Regardless of anything, its hard not to be in awe of Gates for the empire he built.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users