Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Works Only If Unsecured

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dgl750

dgl750

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Hi people - first post to an excellent site. Been using your advice to sort out virus problem on my main pc with great success.
New problem - unable to get my laptop to work wirelessly for last few days. Have checked via limited start up using msconfig to ensure no trojans/spyware - then disabled windows firewall - then disabled security and finally it works.
Router is BT1800HG - broadband is with talktalk (surprisingly reliable and recently upgraded to 6Mb?) - recently reduced MTu to 1400 to overcome problem with webmail access. Using WEP - my laptop is Sony Vaio S VGN-S1XP.
Feel naked with no security - any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Hi people - first post to an excellent site. Been using your advice to sort out virus problem on my main pc with great success.
New problem - unable to get my laptop to work wirelessly for last few days. Have checked via limited start up using msconfig to ensure no trojans/spyware - then disabled windows firewall - then disabled security and finally it works.
Router is BT1800HG - broadband is with talktalk (surprisingly reliable and recently upgraded to 6Mb?) - recently reduced MTu to 1400 to overcome problem with webmail access. Using WEP - my laptop is Sony Vaio S VGN-S1XP.
Feel naked with no security - any ideas?

The only thing that comes to mind on this issue is did you just buy a new wireless phone, or any other electronic/electrical device?
That may be interfering with the signal if in close proximity.

If you are using XP Pro, try going ba in restore to a point when you knew that the wirelass LAN was working, if this resolves the issue, then check what you did after that which might have messed up the connection.

#3 dgl750

dgl750
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. No new phone or anything recently - tried restore (using xp professional) but it always says there have been no changes - do I have a faulty restore as well?
Why should it work ok unsecured and not using WEP? What is the WEP doing? Obviously my key is correct - 10 digit as on the base of the router.....

#4 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. No new phone or anything recently - tried restore (using xp professional) but it always says there have been no changes - do I have a faulty restore as well?
Why should it work ok unsecured and not using WEP? What is the WEP doing? Obviously my key is correct - 10 digit as on the base of the router.....

Did you try shutting down the router completely for 3secs then bringing it back online?

When you say disabled security what exactly do you mean??/ do you have another firewall/Antivirus/something like that???

Edited by 919263, 30 January 2007 - 03:00 PM.

#5 dgl750

dgl750
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Yes i have tried that a number of times.
I mean I have set my router to generate an unsecured wireless signal. This means any one can log on to my broadband signal.......

#6 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Yes i have tried that a number of times.
I mean I have set my router to generate an unsecured wireless signal. This means any one can log on to my broadband signal.......

When you say disabled security what exactly do you mean??/ do you have another firewall/Antivirus/something like that???

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

Most routers will allow you to limit access to certain MAC addresses - so you can achieve a measure of security with that.

I just saw a video on how to hack WEP in 10 minutes - so security is obviously a relative thing.

The best security is to shut it off when not using it.

Since it communicates without security - then either the security function is broken - or the settings aren't correct. You'll have to check both the router and the PC to determine which it is.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

Here're some other suggestions:
- ensure you have the latest firmware version for your router
- check your wireless card for the latest version of drivers
- use 26 instead of 10 on WEP
- change your channel on your router

For latest versions of firmware and drivers, the component manufacturer's websites will be useful.
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users