Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Conejita2105

Conejita2105

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

Can anyone refer me to a download that will help me repair my registry. I downloaded System Maid but it just seemed to point out the errors without actually correcting them.

Moderator Edit: Closed an open BBCode tag. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 January 2007 - 09:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

"Repairing the registry" is a very hard to define term. Is there something wrong with the registry as it is? If that's the case, it'd be better to describe the problems you're having, so we can help you fix them specifically.

The Windows Registry is not something to be fooled around with. Even tiny errors can have dramatic effects. As the Lord said unto Adam at the down of creation:

"Yea verily I say unto thee, eat thee not from the tree of Life nor from the tree of knowledge; sign up not for AOL, lest it bring great sorrow to all mankind; tampereth NOT with the Registry, lest you die! browseth the Internet-eth only from behind a firewall; accepteth not e-mail attachments from the unknown sender; and keepeth forever the source OPEN, for it is Holy."

With that, I recommend Ccleaner for registry maintenance, but read this post regarding the dangers accosiated with it.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:52 AM

Try the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner. It's an online scan that is free and will check for malware as well as cleaning the registry. It's from Microsoft and therefore is pretty safe for registry cleaning.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

Here's a nice thread about the myths concerning registry cleaners: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users