Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Good Video Compression ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

i have a lot of video clips in my computer, and quite familiar with the format and size. Still, i just realized that some of my videos are very small in size. most of my video clips are in .mpg format. two of the videos are different, and these two are the small sized ones. most of the mpg files are about 30 mb, and the two of them don't even reach 10 mb. that's a very good compression i would say. how did this happen ? the quality of the videos don't differ much btw.

and there's this one time, i downloaded a compressed file, with a video file inside (video file about hacking yahoo or something... you don't wanna know :flowers: ), i downloaded the 10 mb file, or about that size (don't really remember) then when i opened, it was more than 100 mb. the extracting took quite some time, but that's worth it. saved up lots of space. :thumbsup:

how do i do what these people do ?
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Right click the video file before decompressing it, or even better download Gspot here and you can find out the compression. I am a bit weary downloading these files since nobody knows what is in it compressed..

Edited by fozzie, 31 January 2007 - 10:22 AM.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

That's nothing.

I have a file that is only 16k. It's a video of how gamers can make games and it shows all of the sceneces and such that can be done with the softwares used.

Guess how large the file really is, but compressed into 16k?........ Over 1 Gigabytes of data. I promise you. I have been looking for that file for a few months now. I downloaded it in 2001 or 02. But I saved it on a floppy disk.

They told all of the softwares and original file sizes that made up the video, and they named some usages that you would know that it was a large file in the beginning.

The file doesn't extract, nor does it install..... you just double-click the file, and it starts playing. I got suspicious when I 1st ran it because somewhere around 15 minutes had gone by, and the file was still playing. No reruns, no same scenes, nothing like that. All different scenes, music and such... just explaining how to make pc games. It was awesome.

I tested it again, and sure enough.... nothing is installed at all on your computer. Just click the file, and it plays for approximately 15 minutes.

During the end of the file/video (whatever you would call it), they were scrolling up the screen every-single thing they used to produce it, and they also said that all of the data that was in that file I had was over 1 Gigabytes.

Yeah..... talking about compression. I wish .avi files and such could be done that way. In fact, every downloadable file for that matter.

I'm still looking for that file... I was thinking about it a few months back... and it's very impressive as to all that data in such a small file. And you'll know the truth when you watch it, and then you'll notice that 15 minutes or more have actually went by, and it didn't end. Yeah.... talking about file compression.

I hope I find it soon. And I hope that i didn't lose it somehow, through corruption or otherwise. But if I find it, I'll surly post a link to it. It's amazing.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:19 AM

lol

actually yeah, i was a little weary of opening it also, wondering whether it was really video file, but in the end, opened it and nothing hapenned...

guess luck is on my side, but still, i wanna know how they do that, if anyone would care to share ?

downloading the gspot now, but, what does the program do anyway ?

btw, 16k ? even my notepad file is larger than that :thumbsup:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Gspot tells you whether the file is corrupt yes or no and whether you can play it.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

Also, GSpot is a program that gives you information about your video files, like:

which video and audio codes were used to make the file
which video and audio codecs you have installed on your computer
file bitrate, runtime, fps, size, and much much more.

Go get you one. It's FREE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users