Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus And Firewall For Windows 2000 Advaced Server

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

I am looking for a freeware Antivirus for Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I know AVG will not install and run on Windows NT4 Server, because I tried it. Do any of you know if one of the other freeware AVs work with servers?
I am also going to install a software firewall. At this point I will go with my old standby SyGate 5.6 PFW. Do you have an opinion?
My system is a HP NetServer LC3 dual P-III 500Mhz, with 1 GB of RAM. I am tied to my LAN and the internet through a Linksys NR041 router.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:46 AM

Why would you want a freeware antivirus for a server? I mean what are you using the server for and are any other users connecting to it?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

Why would you want a freeware antivirus for a server? I mean what are you using the server for and are any other users connecting to it?

I plan on using it to host a web site from my cable modem (12mbps\786Kbps). It is now connected to a LAN that has direct access to the internet. While I have limited access to the server from other computers on the LAN I would just like to have the protection offered by a firewall. There are antivirus program for servers, as a matter of fact AVG has one and I will probably use them. I have been using their freeware for years and if I have to purchase software my loyalty would compell me to use AVG.
I do not believe you can have too much security. The question is not "Are you paranoid?", the question is "Are you paranoid enough?".
Thank you for the response.

#4 sk8rbo1

sk8rbo1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

AVG is the way to go for a free antivirus, but seriously I'd much rather pay for antivirus software because there's gotta be a catch somewhere. Nothing is absolutely free in this world.

#5 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

Mmm I dunno Sk8rbo1, you may be wrong? There are free things in this world, just so much bureaucracy that shrouds it.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

AVG is the way to go for a free antivirus, but seriously I'd much rather pay for antivirus software because there's gotta be a catch somewhere. Nothing is absolutely free in this world.

In general I believe that, but I have been using AVG free on all of my desktops since 2003 and have not had a virus. I work online with the internet 3 to 8 hrs a day and have a great deal of trust in AVG and several other Freeware security programs.
I am sure the reason for the being no Server AV freeware is there are not that many "Personal" use servers out there. You point is well taken thought.
If it were not for the GNU software many could not afford security protection at all. Freeware has been around since the beginning of the Personal Computer.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

Thank you all, that looked at this topic. There apparently are not any freeware antivirus programs for servers.
I decided to go with AVG File Server Edition.
This will cover 5 of my computers with the subscription version of AVG. That came out to $7.70\yr per computer.
I will update this topic about how effective it is for me.

#8 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

As an aside, I've been using AVG and Zone Alarm for sometime
now on both machines....Today, on my win2K computer, AVG picked
up and put in the virus vault 2 infections...both files infected had to
do with Firefox. What AVG found was
WORM/VB.AUG.
Strange that I don't have that on my other computer with WinXP.
They're tied together through a router.
Anyhow, the reason I'm posting this is to show that AVG does in
fact do the job......FWIW

#9 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

Joe883, may I know that version of AVG you are using? at first ,I was forced to believe that AVG is the best free antivirus until such time I decided to uninstall it in my machine after 6 months of testing.
I just observed that it was not doing anythin at all.Aside from itwas eating up my Pc mem that made my computer slow down very badly, it even took so much hard disk space ,and the worst of all ,it couldn't detect viruses lurking in my pc.The thing i was waiting it to present to me.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hey Joe :thumbsup:

I'm also using AVG on a Win XP system and am not having any problem. The McAfee AV that came with the notebook seemed to slow down the system noticeably, while AVG doesn't, or at least not that I can tell. If I turn it, AVG, off, I can't tell any speed difference at all.

As an aside -

it's not unusual to not get a virus on every PC in a network. Most likely a virus will initially infect the PC that it comes in contact with in whatever manner it spreads. Sounds like, in your case, through or associated with Firefox. According to the specific virus, if not eradicated or "quarantined", it may easily spread to other PCs on a network, or it might only move to another networked PC under very specific circumstances. The good news for you is that AVG caught it apparently early enough that it wasn't able to do any damage.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

Joe883, may I know that version of AVG you are using? at first ,I was forced to believe that AVG is the best free antivirus until such time I decided to uninstall it in my machine after 6 months of testing.
I just observed that it was not doing anythin at all.Aside from itwas eating up my Pc mem that made my computer slow down very badly, it even took so much hard disk space ,and the worst of all ,it couldn't detect viruses lurking in my pc.The thing i was waiting it to present to me.

I find that hard to believe. I have had AVG freeware on 13 computers at my home and install in of well over a hundred others over the past 4 years without any problems. That includes Windows 98, 98SE, ME, W2k and all flavors of XP. I have recently upgraded 5 of my computers, 1 server and 4 desktops, to AVG Files Server Edition.
Something else is going on with your computer if your hard drive is filling up. That sounds like a run-a-way backup program or other malfunctioning program. You know for certain that all the extra files are AVG generated?
What security software are you running right now? Antivirus, antispyware, firewall, scanners,..? Something is wrong, and AVG may be part of it but it is not the sole problem if it is.

#12 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

I know many users are trusting AVGs.In fact , before I installed this anti-virus ,Ive had a lot of research on what is the best anti-virus software to date.
My computer seemed to crawl or was tottally sluggish after I installed it(AVG 7.5 ) but when I removed it, even its crap ,it made a big difference it terms of speed.This, I really dont understand.
Before I uninstalled it ,I first tried to uninstall some other programs such as dreamweaver,photoshop,netmeeting thinking these maybe the cause.I even turned off some services running to make it fast but nothing got changed.Whenever my pc started, windows was as if trying its way hard to display desktop icons.Windows XP turned as if it is multi tasking environment coz whenever you attempted to open IE while AVG was running it hanged. I finally came to a point to even think it's better not to have anti virus at all when the speed improved remakably upon uninstalling it. Right now I dont have antivirus program running evrytime my net is on.Just recently,I installed Hijackthis, ATFcleaner and smitfraudfix.Well , i found out they are playing well.
Maybe, i should have looked into something else that prbably causing this problem.Yet, i couldnt think of any.What do you think I should have done?thankx.

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

It's entirely possible that your combination of programs runs slower with AVG.

You might try Avast!'s free edition.

Edit to add - "if it will work on your OS."

Edited by JohnWho, 18 March 2007 - 09:36 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#14 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Both of my machines are using AVG 7.5. I think that the
"virus" I was shown on my win2K computer was a false
positive or negative or something like that...LOL..because
after the latest AVG auto updates the Virus Vault is empty.
I didn't do anything to cause that...Hmmm...after that happened
I ran Housecalls, and the Windows program and neither came
up with a virus.
Also, I don't notice a slow down with AVG 7.5.
Maybe I'm just not that much in a hurry. :thumbsup:

#15 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

just recently i decided to install avg anti spyware and avast antivirus as advised to me from this and other forum.yet, im again facing with this slow down problem of my pc however, it is not as worse as i have experienced before with anti virus intalled.Now, it takes about 3 minutes to start windows including to load up all icons on my desktop.and nearly about 2 minutes of shutting down.ive observed also that once my computer settles everythng during start up, the speed gets back to normal and surfing turns exciting. any idea to speed up start up and shutting down process.thnx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users