Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmentation And Chkdsk Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barry O.

Barry O.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:22 AM

Hi y'all.

I hope I posted this in the right section of the forums, well anyway..

Yesterday I tried to defragmentate my system, since it has been a long time ago that I actually did that.

But, when I actually wanted to defragmentate, I got a message reading something like this: 'Chkdsk is planned on volume C:, Run chkdsk /f'

Well, I tried to run it from Start - Run -> cmd ... but I got a message that the utility was in use by another application, so it asked me if I wanted to run chkdsk on the next boot. I answered 'Yes'.

On the next boot, the system tried to run Chkdsk but I got the following message, 'Can't open volume C:, because of no direct access. Disk check complete'.

It's not literally what I got, since I can't translate it directly, while I have a Dutch version of Windows, I'm sorry :thumbsup:

I tried it numerous times, but I can't do anything else. It won't run Chkdsk, and therefore I can't Defragmentate. Is my drive becoming unstable? Does anybody know how to solve this?

I heard this error occured while using ZoneAlarm, but that's not it, since I don't even have that program.

I hope you guys can help me, 'cause I'm freaking out :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

Since he is a conpatriot I helped him out with the translation. It said " Volume is NTFS Can not open volume for direct access. After doing a search there could be a number of possibilities :

1) No SP1 or above installed

2) There appears to be a clash between ikhlayer.sys (Spyware Doctor) and chdsk.exe
Solution :
methode A.
1. Exit from Spyware Doctor (to exit from Spyware Doctor please right
click on the Spyware Doctor icon in the notification area (next to the
clock on the Windows taskbar) and select Exit from the menu that
appears)
2. Delete the file 'ikhlayer.sys' from c:\windows\system32\drivers\
(This file is part of Spyware Doctor. Do not be alarmed as it is safe to
delete this file for this purpose)
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Scandisk, defrag and error-checking should now work after the reboot.

methode B.
Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc -> Device manager -> View : check "Show
hidden devices" -> Kernel Anti-Spyware Driver : right mouse click :
DISABLE

When done (chkdsk, Diskeeper boot-time etc), return to ENABLE.

bron: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=117336

please revert with details

#3 Barry O.

Barry O.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi fozzie!

I tried method A and it worked!
I already looked on the Internet and read something about 'ikhlayer.sys' causing problems with Chkdsk, but according to the website where I found that, that file was in the folder system32, it didn't say anything about the folder drivers.

Both Chkdsk en System Defragmentation work properly now again, thank you very much for your help!

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

Graag gedaan (My pleasure)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users