Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Operating System Closes Gateway To Browser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davygood

Davygood

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:11 AM

[size=4]My daughter is running 2000xp SP2 . Today on broad band ADSL with D link modem Trend Micro advised that someone was attempting to use the line - allow or decline - on decline the browser failed .
The on board analiser advised ping to gateway failed and would not accept http https and one other type files.
The server (Big Pond Australia) says no problem with connection and suggests recent download of IE7 may have something to do with it.
The Trend message showed that it was along the lines - "Generic advice Windows system 32 Host" I have switched off the windows firewall and completely shut down the power to the unit and modem twice without any luck... Help please!!
Cheers Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

Trend Micro advised that someone was attempting to use the line - allow or decline - on decline the browser failed .

What was trying to 'use the line'? It is important to know exactly what was asked. If you declined and then the browser didn't work, then it stand to reason that it was something to do with the browser, but what exactly? We need more exact info, please!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 30 January 2007 - 06:39 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

[size=4][size=4] Since I am not protected by Trend myself I am not that familiar with the exact wording but as I said the bones of it were "Windows..32 HOST". I assume that the system may have been trying to automatically download or ? and that Trend was offering the option of declining the request which the system didn't like for some reason. That's as good as I can put it!
Cheers Dave

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

If you are referring to Generic Host Process for Win32 Services it may have been legitimate. Denying it stops your PC from accessing the Internet. Sometimes it can be malware related. Look in Event Viewer for any errors and post them. You may want to download HijackThis and install it to a floppy disk or thumbdrive and transfer it to the PC that can't access the Internet, run it and copy the generated logfile back to the floppy or thumbdrive to post in the HijackThis section of the forums.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

If Trend has sent you a message after you denied access to that process then may be trend and not the Microsoft firewall caused your problem. If you have the Trend Micro Firewall installed you may have blocked IE form accessing the internet. If you have Trend's antisypware you could also have blocked IE from accessing the internet, in a similar way that Spybot and MS Defender does.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

[size=4]Thanks to Frank. the Terror and acklan.. Yes I thought it was more than a quick fix. I thought of doing the log thing but since it's an 80 mile round trip on the bus... The system is only 6 months old and I am going to hit the supplier for an after sales check .. I'll let you know the result. Thinking back I uninstalled the Trend programme because it was slow to boot up and reinstalled it with the Windows firewall on and perhaps this has something to do with it . Anyway thanks again for now..
Cheers Dave

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

If you do away with Trend, try AVG, SyGate 5.6, and Spybot. They are work horses and I believe will provide you the protection you are looking for.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

[size=4] Hello ! I just wanted to finish this thread by saying alls well - no real drama just a few tweaks by a pro!(If I tell you I have to keel you!!)
Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users