Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vacation.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:26 AM

I am allways amused at the different ways Men pack for a trip away,compared to most Women.
I throw a few things in a suitcase or bag,while the women plan this as a major logistical exercise that requires days of packing and prepareing.I allways look on the funny side.Are Wives just more careful than Men,and feel it's better to be over prepared?
My Mother,Bless Her,even if she's going to a Relatives for 3 or 4 days,packs everything but the kitchen sink. :hysterical:You would think my Mother was spending 3 months at the North Pole.I realise with children it's a different story. Wonder what your thoughts are on this subject.

Edited by DSTM, 30 January 2007 - 05:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:34 AM

I travel light, swimming trunks,socks some shoes pair of jeans and all necessary to stay clean and shaved. The rest i will buy locally. Obviously when your are travelling with kids it is a different story. Diapers, that cute little sweater etc etc etc.. My better half has some difficulties in leaving behind her clothes, so we had some discussions to say the least... :thumbsup: It is hysterical if you see people arriving at a camping place when they start unpacking, the poor guy heavily bent over with 3 or 4 suitcases with clothes for his loved one!!! :flowers:

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

I'm not sure if it's a man/woman difference.

True, my mom packed EVERYTHING it seemed like. Take a two day trip to visit her folks, and I swear she packed enough for a year's long voyage. Me, and in case you've wondered I am a woman, I carry so little that nearly everyone wonders if I brought any luggage, and that's even when I've packed 3-4 teddy bears. I spent a week at my brother's, and everything I packed fit in my purse and medium-size back-pack. My dad packs really light too. Of course in the winter, luggage might take up more space because warm clothing is bulkier.

Now, if I'm going on a month-long car-camping trip with a conference half-way through, there will be a LOT more stuff, and most of that will be supplies in the way of camping gear and food. We pack the food, much of it dried, to save expenses on the trip. Buying locally on such a trip can be frightfully expensive.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:24 AM

My philosophy on trips is if it doesn't fit in my backpack, I'm not taking it.
There's always somewhere to wash clothes if I didn't bring enough. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

There's always somewhere to wash clothes if I didn't bring enough. :flowers:

I like your Philosophy tink536.I allways like to travel light also. :thumbsup:

#6 wesburnsco86

wesburnsco86

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

There's always somewhere to wash clothes if I didn't bring enough. :flowers:

Hey you stole my philosophy....JK......
who needs the extra baggage,also if Ive been shopping while on vacation, I like to wash my new things and wear them. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Thanks to SteveAlmighty for my sig

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

There's always somewhere to wash clothes if I didn't bring enough. :inlove:

I like your Philosophy tink536.I allways like to travel light also. :flowers:

There's always somewhere to wash clothes if I didn't bring enough. :)

Hey you stole my philosophy....JK......
who needs the extra baggage,also if Ive been shopping while on vacation, I like to wash my new things and wear them. :trumpet:

Wow, I feel like such a guy now! :thumbsup:

I just hate the idea of having to carry all the junk I could possibly bring. Hey, if someone was going to carry it for me, I could bring more. :P

Usually I only travel a couple of islands down to pick up my niece (which I'm going to do on Sat...YAY! B) ) and that four-year-old girl brings her whole house with her, so I have to make sure I can carry all her junk too! :cool:

I have the same philosophy on going out, if it doesn't fit in my pockets, its not coming. :) If I carried a bag or a purse, I'd probably lose it forgetting I had it in the first place! :spam:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

In general I pack light. It sort of depends on where and duration tho. For instance;camping for a week or weekend requires 2 different setups. Camping (remote) needs a lot and a week needs a lot more.
When i head for my favorite carribean place,I can pack fairly light. Much lighter now than at first as I'm quite experienced now. I know what is available there. Hotels are also great at helping you find things you need. I no longer carry many of the things now restricted anyway as I just pick them up there. I go shopping in the local towns or villages. It's fun and simpler too. I get things like fruits and luch things so i can go for long walks with the wife, sometimes we go 5 miles down the beach. Plus you can pick up a few things for your room. Find the good local eateries.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

I pack real lights... Just a few t-shirts, pair of jeans, socks, underwear, bathroom stuff and my computer... Can't leave without the computer...

I can easily do a weak in a fairly small bag. What I don't get if you are going on a 2 day trip I would bring 2 shirts plus the one I got so you have a spare but I have seen some people take as many as 8...

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

What I don't get if you are going on a 2 day trip I would bring 2 shirts plus the one I got so you have a spare but I have seen some people take as many as 8...

8 Shirts for 2 days? Unless whoever it is is planning on giving about half away as gifts or they are wearing 3 shirts on top of each other because its cold out, that sounds like over-kill. I can see packing more than 2 shirts for a two day trip if there will be activities demanding very different kinds of shirts. Such as hiking through a swamp or brushy forest in the morning and being someone's dining guest at a posh restaurant in the afternoon. The next day, going to an important interview requiring formal wear, then going canoeing in the afternoon. You might be able to wear the same shirt to both the dinner and the interview.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 January 2007 - 02:22 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:50 AM

After seeing what my poor Father went through,just to take us on vacation still amazes me.Honestly my Mother packed so much stuff,you would think we were moving house,and the Removalists only had to pick up the bulky items. :thumbsup: Not quite that bad ,but close.
So,when I go on holidays to Europe,my favourite destination,I find a nice hotel and good food.The last thing I want to do on holidays is work.Otherwise it's not a holiday,and I most well stay home.The hardest thing I want to do is decide what clothes I'm wearing that day,and what places to visit.The last thing I want to do is drive a car 500 miles,unpack,prepare meals and try to keep insects off your food.Then spend the night in a tent,lying there on a hard bed,and listening to creepy noises in the night,imagineing I'm one of the campers in the Blair Witch Project. :flowers: After years of camping,I have lost the excitement of the great outdoors.If I can't fly.have food prepared for me,I just won't go on vacation. :trumpet:

Edited by DSTM, 31 January 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#12 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

I used to love camping when I was a kid. When I turned 14 or so, I couldn't do it anymore. Too many buggies that bite! Posted Image
:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

i usually like to pack light myself.

My mom on the other hand packs a lot of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users