Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardrive Probs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

hi i have an hp w5151 media centre with a personal media drive bay.
my girlfriend inserted this drive into the pc an then took it out during the pc reading it.
the problem is that when i put this drive in it makes a noise but is not being registered.
the power light comes on but not the other light that indicates its being read or used.
help i had a lot of stuff on that drive which i need to recover.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

also pc wont boot properly when hard drive is connected.
it does show in my devices but most of the time comp freezes when its attatched.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:12 AM

What my first suggestion would be , is to go the HD manufacterers website and download some diagnostic tools. If you rightclick than for hardware you would see serial numbers. ST would mean Seagate WD would mean Western Digital. Start from there. If you are not sure please post whatever you find under hardware and I'll try to find it for you

#4 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:28 AM

its an st316002 3a usb (hp personal media drive)

been onto seagates website and d/loaded the diagnostic tools an its just coming up as failed on the searches.
now when its left in the pc for a while it is actually showing up in my comp as a local disc but any attempt to format or right click in any way just results in either windows crashing out or the egg timer stayin busy for ever!

its recognized as drive k but when i go to run k:/format or chkdsk or anything else same happens with the egg timer or windows refreshing my comp.
i have gotten hold of a few file recovery progs but there all struggling to do anything while the drive is doing this to my pc!
if i can just get the drive formatted i may be able to recover data but to be honest i really just want to use this drive again as it is very handy!
any help would be great!!!

#5 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

right i d/loaded another tool from seagate an its done the trick.the hardrive is now registering and letting me access it(lucky man!) so im just running "recover my files2.if anyone knows of a better or faster data recovery prog could they let me know!
cheers :thumbsup:

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

Look for PCInspector in the freeware section. Klick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users