Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Protection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:22 AM

I recently go a new laptop. I'm mainly going to program and do school related things on it. I want a pretty good all-in-one tool that will give me live protection from viruses, stop popups, spyware, etc. and doesn't take over my system like Norton and doesn't take up much system recources. Right now I have avast and Spybot and its doing fine, but I would like one that automatically runs scans quietly. I don't like having to do all the scans, updates, etc. Do I have the best protection tools or is there something more like what I want out there. Thanks.

*knows little about virus protection, you'll find me in hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:25 AM

Go through this post from Grinler. Unfortunally all in 1 security programs are"resource hoggers "and updating and scanning on a regular basis is one of the things attached to being on the internet.

#3 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

i recomend McAfee (includes AntiVirus, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller...). Also it does not require a lot of resources.

#4 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

Well, thanks for the replies. I wanted something free and found AVG. It looks like its doing a good job at everything I wanted it to. Pretty simple gui though. Has anyone had experience with AVG? Is it all-in-one-ish and pretty good protection for basic browsing?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

There are two free AVG products.

AVG Anti-virus
AVG Anti-spyware (used to be Ewido Anti-spyware)

So if you want to be protected against viruses and spyware you'll need both.

I would agree with fozzie that all in one protection suites do not provide as good protection as individual security programs. And don't forget to get a decent firewall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

I would get Avira Antivir for an antivirus, comodo firewall personal for a firewall, and super antispyware free version for on-demand scans. Spybot just doesn't cut it these days. it has a low detectin rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users